Upcoming Bandsaw Purchase

I am in the middle of outfitting my garage shop and am trying to decide which bandsaw to purchase. I will use it for resawing and some curves. My specialty is furniture. I was interested in at least a

16". I have it narrowed down to the following (in no particular order):

1 Laguna LT16 (16") - $1500 I have heard some rumours about the Bulgarian models

2 General International 90-270 (18") - $1600

3 General 690-1 (15") - $1650 A little pricey for a 15", but I have heard they are very good

4 Bridgewood BW-17WBS (17") - $1000

Does anyone have any opinions or experience with any of these. I have done quite a bit of research on Google and read several magazines, but I didn't find that much and don't feel that magazines are that trustworthy. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Russell

Reply to
Anon

BTDT

Nice fence, revolutionary guides. Shipping was brutal and presales support turned me off. They just did not want to find a way to get a saw to me without me eating $250 in shipping costs. People can be creative if they really want to. I just felt like a small fish nuissance small fish.

I also heard some customer service horror stories about them not being able to fix vibration problems on their lower end machines.

That looks like a honey of a machine. With CI wheels, that thing will spin down for *minutes*. Seriously. A foot break is nice to have.

There was a reviw by one of the mags about 6-8 months ago about 18" saws. Google the group to determine which rag it was.

FWIW, their top "value" machine was a Rikon at around $900. A machine I was not aware of when I was doing my research. I would give that one a look too.

Good luck, Let us know what you choose and write a review.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

You better check out the Mini Max. I have it and love it. Excellent customer support base as well. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

American Woodworker magazine, Oct-04. Part 2 of a Bandsaw review. Part 1 covered smaller machines.

Dave

Reply to
Cox West

I own a General 390 bandsaw, the 15" Canadian model with 8" of resaw capacity. The 690 is the same basic tool with increased resaw. It is an unbelievably well made machine. I bought the saw after selling a Laguna

16" LT which I thought was a mediocre tool > I am in the middle of outfitting my garage shop and am trying to
Reply to
Rick Stein

I bought a used Gi 18 inch. I didn't realize it was an import until I got home. It cuts really well and is very nicely built. The cast iron tables are first rate. I will replace the plastic handles with metal but I am very happy with it. I paid $650 with 10 Timberwolf blades and a shop fox rolling base. max

Reply to
max

I looked at both those reviews and the one on 18" models in FWW. In fact, I have gone back through every subscription I have for the past year (several) and read everything on bandsaws. But you can't trust magazines to give you the full story on machines. That's why all of your opinions are so valuable.

Cox West wrote:

machine I

Reply to
russellfletcher

The General 690 was the first one I looked at and have heard nothing but great things about General tools (Canadian). In fact, if I hadn't gotten such a good deal on the Delta Unisaw I just bought, I would have gone with the General 350 or 650 table saw. but the one thing that worries me is that this is a 15" model. I want to get a saw with some real beefiness and stability in it, not a 14" with a riser block. I know the 14/block combo would technically work for resawing large panels, but why not get the best tool for the job, not the one that "just works".

Russell

Reply to
russellfletcher

I looked at both those reviews and the one on 18" models in FWW. In fact, I have gone back through every subscription I have for the past year (several) and read everything on bandsaws. But you can't trust magazines to give you the full story on machines. That's why all of your opinions are so valuable.

Cox West wrote:

machine I

Reply to
russellfletcher

The best bandsaws are Agizanni

Reply to
ddinc

If you google it, the spelling isAgazzani (I think...)

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew

How does quality compare between the GI and General? With the huge price differential I am surprised that the parent factory can survive.... I guess there is a luxury escalation of price at the high end.

Retail price for the 690 here in Canada (at House of Tools) is higher than street prices quoted. Who offers competitive pricing north of the border?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The minimax S16 is like the Laguna smaller series. I have seen some negative posts on the rec. And the other models are just outside the amount I am willing to spend.

Reply to
russellfletcher

The Bridgewood is made by the same company that makes Agazzani I have heard, but I haven't heard anything more about them. I would really like to hear from anyone who has seen them up close or used one. I mean, the Italian saws are supposed to be great.

Reply to
russellfletcher

I just got the Laguna Tools LT16 bandsaw recently and absolutely lov

it! It is a well-built machine and cuts like a dream. It has a 3 H Baldor motor and their unique ceramic guide system.

I have used it for small, detailed cuts, curved cuts, and for larg resawing cuts. I have also used it to cut tennons instead of using m tablesaw. I have found that it is a lot safer.

I really like the fence that comes with the saw. It can be used in th up position for tall resaw work or used in the down positon for lo work. It is a solid fence and is completely adjustable for drift.

I did a LOT of checking and wanted to make sure that I got the best sa for the price range I was looking at. Even after all my compariso shopping, I was blown away by how nice this saw cuts. I couldn' afford their heavy duty model so this was the next best thing.

I also have their resaw blade which cuts veneers and book matche panels great. Their staff also seemed more knowledgeable abou bandsaws than other people I spoke with.

I would encourage you to check this saw out.

Good luck. snipped-for-privacy@abc.com Wrote:

Raymond

Reply to
Raymond

After reading all your posts and taking everything into consideration, I ordered the General (Canadian) 15" bandsaw, model 690-1. It has a 12

3/4" resaw capacity. I got it in last week and its is an extremely well made piece of equipment, really massive construction, and rock solid. And of the 6 test cuts I have made, it has been smooth as silk. Kind of made me regret getting a Unisaw instead of teh General table saw. I want to thank everyone for all your help and insight.

Russell

Reply to
russellfletcher