Yellow vs White glue

I was in Frank Klauz's shop a few weeks ago and he was using elmers glue.

I have been using titebond yellow, sometimes an elmers dark glue,

I know this is a matter of opinion, but figured I would like to hear the pros and cons of each.... White PVA vs Yellow Aliphatic.

Reply to
tiredofspam

PVA creeps more than yellow, is thermoplastic; i.e, can be softened with heat which is very handy because you can iron on edging strips. When mixed with sawdust - or put into a slightly less than perfect joint and sanded over - it makes a decent filler.

I use both. Type 2 yellow for gluing stuff together forever.

Reply to
dadiOH

Some white glues are acutally wood glue. Elmers white glue is not necessarily a wood glue.

Gorilla makes a White wood glue.

I use the glue that most closely matches the wood color. Light woods, white glue, dries clear. Light brown TBII , medium brown, TBIII, dark woods, dark glue.

Reply to
Leon

White glue gives more open time, which if I recall correctly is why Frank Klauz uses it. Yellow glue is stronger, but white glue is strong enough for most uses. If you have good fitting joints white glue should still be stronger than the wood.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

White glue has a longer open time, and use it for gluing up Windsor chairs. It's as strong as yellow glue.

Originally, yellow glue was formulated as a "carpenter's glue" that could be applied to moist wood on the job site.

Incidental trivia - I lifted this from milk.doc:

Elmer=92s=AE glue used to be made from casein, however, it is now made from a polymer, polyvinylacetate (PVA) since that polymer is more stable and has a long shelf storage life. Elmer=92s=AE blue gel glue is made from polyvinylalcohol.

Reply to
joeljcarver

I use this stuff a lot.

large lay-ups of laminate, Wilsonart 3000 is incredible. That stuff is insane.

I do like TBIII a lot too, I like the dark colour for those same reasons you stated.

I used Gorilla for an outdoor situation------> what a PITA!!! but it does stick, holy cow does it ever.

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote: ...

The comparative tests I've seen all have the resorcinal (Gorilla foaming) results behind the yellow glue...

They're only advantage imo is the one-part waterproof where it's actually needed; otherwise the pita factor is far too high as you say...

Marketing can do wonders... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Unless things have changed, Gorilla glue isn't resorcinol, its polyurethane, not even close to resorcinol.

Reply to
dadiOH

The Gorilla glue that foams is polyurethane, not resorcinol.

The only resorcinol glue that is currently at all easily available in the US is Cascophen I believe (get it from Aircraft Spruce). Aerolite I am told can still be had in the UK but there doesn't seem to be a US distributer any longer. DAP seems to have discontinued the Weldwood product.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I use this stuff a lot.

large lay-ups of laminate, Wilsonart 3000 is incredible. That stuff is insane.

I do like TBIII a lot too, I like the dark colour for those same reasons you stated.

I used Gorilla for an outdoor situation------> what a PITA!!! but it does stick, holy cow does it ever.

OK, let me restate, WHITE gorilla glue, works just like regular yellow eood glue except it is WHITE. Not a polyurethane glue.

Reply to
Leon

WHITE Gorilla Glue is not Polyurethane Gorilla Glue.

Reply to
Leon

Yes Things have changed.

Gorilla is a BRAND name not a type of glue.

Leon

True, finger-slip...

Anyway, the _polyurethanes_ fared lower than the PVAs in the testing results I've seen...

--

Reply to
dpb

Also true but only relatively recently has there been anything but the _polyurethane_ foaming over-advertised stuff available under the Gorilla banner...

--

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
dadiOH

That's true. They are NOT strong, they are water resistant. Like another poster wrote, marketing is everything.

Reply to
-MIKE-

That other poster would have been me... :) (altho there may have been another as well,...)

--

Reply to
dpb

I have been using and mentioning the WHITE Gorilla glue for almost 3 years.... Not too new for those that frequent woodworking stores and the Borgs.

Reply to
Leon

White Gorilla glue is not necessarily polyurethane as you stated above.

Reply to
Leon

But is white Gorilla glue any different in function than Elmer's Glue- All?

Reply to
J. Clarke