Fein Vacuums: Auot-Start Load?

I should be getting a Fein Turbo II this weekend. I've been thinking about how I will use it, and for most jobs, I won't want to use the auto-start feature. I assume the load runs off the same cord as the vacuum, and I have my shop wired specifically so my vacuum runs off a different breaker from my machines.

It would still be nice to be able to turn the vacuum on & off remotely. I have another vacuum that I run with a foot pedal switch like this:

occured to me that I might be able to rig a custom remote that uses the auto-start feature. For example, if it is sensitive enough, I could use a switch connected to a small load resistor or a night-light bulb. I've got plenty of wire & even a nice "pendant" switch that I could use. However, I don't want to have to run an extra 100 W light bulb. Does anyone have any idea what the minimum load requirment is to activate the auto-start?

Thanks!

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Doug White wrote in news:Xns9E02C7C3C1A56gwhitealummitedu@69.16.186.7:

5W. It'll be stated right on the vacuum next to the outlet.

Bonus data: The max load is around 2000W. That's harder to find.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote in news:4ca3cf52$0$23828 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Excellent! Thanks! That means a 7W night light bulb will work just fine.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Why do you need to use the autostart feature? Leave the vacuum switched on and plug it directly into a foot activated switch. For that, you don't need any load at all.

Reply to
Upscale

RE: Subject

A classic case of where a magnetic motor starter on the table saw with an extra aux contact to control the Fein not only improves safety but simplifies the control circuitry.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Triac? Simple.

Reply to
Robatoy

Triac? Simple.

------------------- Not quite, no mechanical isolation.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

If the Fein works like the Festool, my 14W floresent lamp will not trigger the auto on. My Makita 12v charger will trigger it to turn on if there is a battery being charged, otherwise no.

IF you are concerned about blowing a breaker with both a tool and the vac coming on at the same time, the Festool has a delay to start a couple of seconds after the tool is turned on.

Reply to
Leon

I was talking about this in the Festool Owners Group. For the Festool vacuum anyway, a 60 watt bulb was sufficient to activate the auto on.

Reply to
Upscale

"Upscale" wrote in news:V9apo.12409$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe05.iad:

If you get a lamp and install a red light bulb, when the vac is on the light could be too.

FWIW, there's three modes on the Fein: On, Autostart, and Off. The outlet is live through all modes, so it just senses current draw and turns on. There's probably no need to do anything fancier than just plug the vacuum in to a switched outlet and turn that on and off.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Not sure why you're using a "red" light bulb for your example, but my original query on FOG had to do with an extension one could plug into the autostart outlet, something with just a switch on the end of it that you could essentially place anywhere you wanted it. My electronics knowledge is all but non-existent so I was wondering if there was some minature power drawing device that could be placed in the extension as the impetus to activate the autostart feature. And, as mentioned, the lowest power drawing device that anyone has come up with so far is the 60 watt light bulb, which might be useful, but certainly is not small enough to "bury" in an extension cord.

Reply to
Upscale

"Upscale" wrote in news:3Ddpo.20811$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe09.iad:

The red light bulb is just for the cool factor. The OP could put it outside above the door with a sign that says "Do not enter while red light is on."

A resistor would fit the bill, but by the time you got one large enough to dissipate the heat for such a large draw, you're probably in light bulb territory anyway. How about a terranium heater? It uses a standard light bulb socket, but produces only heat. Use a standard trouble light, and the extension cord switch is easy.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"Upscale" wrote in news:1QRoo.13071$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe02.iad:

That's definitely an option. I have one on another vac, but it's fairly small & light, and tends to move around a lot. There are only a few different ones on the market. Once you've eliminated the momentary contact & variable speed models, I've found the following:

is the one I have, and you have to press down on one end to turn it on, and on the other end to turn it off, which is a bit fussy. The cord has a stacking plug, so both the switch & the tool plug in at the outlet.)

bit larger, and appears to be plastic. Tool plugs into the back, which isn't quite as tidy. Several reviews say it's light and/or flimsy.)

one is pneumatic. The rubber bulbs tend to degrade & leak, but replacements are cheap)

All of them could be bolted to a weighted plate, but it would be nice if that wasn't necessary.

The one I have has been reliable. I suppose I could get a second and make two plates & fix both of them, but the rocking action is a little annoying. The plug setup is nice.

Anyone know of any I've missed?

Thanks!

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

This one works well for me:

:
of the page)

Max

Reply to
Max

[elided]

Scott Lurndal

"Max" wrote in news:4ca6021f$0$17463$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I'm looking for a FOOT switch. This is for a vacuum, which I believe has it's own speed control. My experience is that 2 speed controls in series is usually a bad idea, even if one is set full on. The noise from one causes the other to freak out.

I just want a switch that turns full on with one push, and off with a second. Not variable speed, and not something I have to stand on to operate, i.e. momentary contact.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote in news:_wnpo.1840$ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetserver.com:

switches, so I'd have to wire up my own cord(s). I'd really like to find a cord with a stacking plug and the "hot" wire interrupted. That's how the one I have now is setup, and it reduces the number of cords running around a bit. Maybe I could get a replacement cord for the one I have & install it on the Aquiline switch.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Uh...........It's at the BOTTOM OF THE PAGE. It's NOT variable speed. It's NOT momentary contact. Step on it to turn it on; step on it to turn it off. It doesn't get much simpler than that. I have two of them. They work just fine.

Max

Reply to
Max

"Max" wrote in news:4ca61761$0$19542$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Sorry about that, I didn't scroll down far enough. Several reviews claim these are fairly light, and that they tend to move around, or get dragged by the cords. Do you find that is an issue?

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

I don't know if you saw them, but if you scroll down far enough, there's a double and a triple Linemaster device activation box. Or maybe you might just want to go simple with a switched outlet. They have a switch in place of a one of the regular outlet plugs and can be wired to turn the adjacent plug on and off. Install one of these into a regular outlet box, plug a vacuum into it and flick the switch when you want it on.

Reply to
Upscale