Yellow vs White glue

Gorilla glue that dries white is polyurethane based.... but... is that the same as their white glue? Don't know.

Reply to
Robatoy

Gorilla glue that dries white is polyurethane based.... but... is that the same as their white glue? Don't know.

White Gorilla wood glue dries clear. For sure.

Reply to
Leon

If you want to pick nits,,,, Gorilla White Wood Glue is designed to glue wood. I highly suspect that you could also use it add glitter to your costume, glue pictures in an album, or glue together pieces of colored construction paper to make a paper chain. I also highly suspect that the Gorilla White Wood glue has a higher bond strength when used with wood than the Elmers Glue ALL product would.

would not necessirily want to use Elmers Glue All to put together an expensive piece of furniture enen though it includes wood as a material that it will glue. It is more of a CRAFT glue that is suited for all around projects including paper, wood, fabric, leather, and ceramics.

would me more inclined to use an Elmer's Wood glue specificially suited for woodworking. I have used both of those referenced below.

the reason I prefer to use the White Gorila wood Glue is that it dries clear.

Reply to
Leon

So do you have test results of any kind that show a difference, or do you just buy into Gorilla's hype?

Reply to
J. Clarke

You use a water-soluble bonding agent for laminate? Amazing! I had trouble with the waterborne rubber cement and love the solvent-based stuff.

I haven't tried TBIII yet. TBII and Elmer's Carpenter's are working fine for me. I let an unopened jug of Gorilla poly harden on me, and lost my very first gallon of TBII. I buy quarts now. Live and learn.

-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I gave my reasons and if you had any other reason to be here other than to argue I suspect you would not be asking this question. Cute how you came back under a new name so every one would see you again.

Plonk again.

Reply to
Leon

How did your gallon of TBII go bad? I once thought my TB III had gone bad, all 3 quarts bottles, Franklin gave me a cure.

Reply to
Leon

It sat on the shelf for a few years and dried up. The last use, I recall it being fairly thick. Jello, eat your heart out.

Those were the Bow Saur Years, Leon.

-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It was probably old and bad, but in the future if the glue starts to "gel" give it several quick whacks against a stationary object or with the palm of your hand. If it is still good it will instantly reliquify.

Reply to
Leon

Really? That's all you're going to say.

Reply to
-MIKE-

What? You don't know?

Reply to
Robatoy

If we ever meet, remind me to give you a good twap on the head. Then, we'll get a beer.

Reply to
-MIKE-

LOL... that's how I made most of my friends.

I heard that all you had to do was smack it onto your work bench. The shock supposedly fixes the glue. I am not kidding, that's what was posted here some time ago. . . . . Somebody help a guy out here!!!!

Reply to
Robatoy

;!)

If the glue starts to "gel" give it several quick whacks against a stationary object or with the palm of your hand. If it is still good it will instantly reliquify.

Reply to
Leon

Do you mean that after I angrily threw the hardened TBII bottle across the shop against the wall, I could have used it instead of throwing it in the trash barrel? :-)

Reply to
willshak

Interesting. I wonder if that's the same for freeze. I've had plenty a bottle spend a few weeks below freezing and I've always heard that's pretty bad for it.

Anyone ever get that dark yellow oily stuff on the top of a bottle that's sat for a long, long, time?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Thanks. I am very intrigued my this. My initial thought is that it's BS, but I'll be the first to gloat about it if it works.

Reply to
-MIKE-

None are. Resorcinol glue is typically marketed as a boat-builder's glue and not as a woodworking product. Not so much because of its adhesive qualities (it's _incredibly_ strong, waterproof, and solvent resistant) but because it has a deep rich burgundy color with a very obvious glue line. It can also be a bit brittle, as I recall.

Reply to
Steve Turner

As long as the glue isn't too far gone, it does indeed work. Franklin even outlines this procedure on the back of the TBIII bottle. Don't see it on my bottle of TBII though...

Reply to
Steve Turner

Giving a good shake generally solves that problem, But ....

Don't know about you, even the slighted suspicion that a glue is dicey is enough to send me packing to buy some that's fresh.

Usually have too much work, time and materials in my projects to take a chance for the piddling price.

Reply to
Swingman