Re: What is it? XL

222 - A very strange looking set of snap ring pliers?

223 - A "pointing" device used for the cement / mortar between bricks, etc. Possibly used by today's brickface and stucco folks to create false bricks, etc.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

Joe

Crossposted drivel?

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

damn good guess... how'd you know?

Reply to
mac davis

Both of these are correct.

Reply to
R.H.

This one isn't for snap rings.

I don't think this is correct.

Reply to
R.H.

Reply to
R.H.

I believe this is correct.

Reply to
R.H.

The Minie ball was neither mini nor a ball. It was invented by a guy named Minie, and looks pretty much like what you have. The base should be hollow.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

I don't think it's so old as to be US Civil War. In fact, the nose looks quite modern sort of wadcutter, rather than early 20th century. The base looks older. As you say, the base will tell if it's a Minie. For those who don't know, the useful feature of the Minie was that, while it was small enough to pass easily down the barrel when loaded from the muzzle, the hollow base expanded to engage the rifling, or at least seal tightly. Similar looking pistol bullets, without the deep hollow, were also made for cartridge loading. The unusual thing about this one, compared to most older wadcutters, is the straight slope of the bullet and the fact that it's set rather far in from the edge.

Reply to
Gerald Clough

[ ... ]

Not sure about a "Maxi" ball, but a "Minnie" (not "mini" ball is named after the inventor. A projectile used in the Civil war era to replace the previous bullets, which were round balls. The term "ball" continued for some time after that, even applying to 38 special revolver cartridges and 45 ACP cartridges during WWII. The Minnie ball (it really needs an accent somewhere which I am not prepared to add) had a hollow base. It was easily slid down on top of the power with the ramrod, and when fired, it expanded to grip the rifling more firmly.

I had already suggested a bullet with a Minnie ball as a possibility, and the way to tell is to look at the bottom. If it is flat, it was a more recent cast lead bullet. If it has a significant cavity in the base, it is more likely to be a Minnie ball, though I believe that the outer surface is normally smoothly curved, not stepped as this one is.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

It persists today, but refers to fully-jacketed (not hollowpoint or soft nose) ammunition, which the Minie wasn;t.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Mechanical pencil. Umm...of DOOM! There, sounds better now.

Reply to
B.B.

Reply to
R.H.

These aren't gear teeth, it's actually three separate objects next to each other.

This one isn't a pencil, nor rope/twine.

Nope.

Reply to
R.H.

What's with the grooves? I haven't seen them in modern cartridges, though Minies had them. Were these for black-powder revolvers?

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

They (in cast bullets) are to carry lube into the bore, so you don't get as much lead fouling.

Not too common in jacketed revolver bullets (which is what I usually shoot), though some rifle bullets have a groove for the case mouth crimp, so the bullet is not either driven deeper or partially pulled by recoil in the weapon -- or even worse, by the stack of bullets in a tubular magazine. (There, you *really* want a blunt nose, so it does not set of the primer of the next cartridge above it in the magazine. :-)

Out of curiosity -- since this is so heavily cross-posted, why don't we put an indicator as to which newsgroup we are posting from? I'm posting from rec.crafts.metalworking, FWIW.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Grooves in cast lead bullets are for the addition of a lubricant in those grooves to help keep bore fouling to a minimum.

John

Reply to
John

I think that "Maxi" is a Thompson Center creation. I think the correct spelling is "Minie", with an accent over the "e". I could post it using extended ASCII, but I don't think that my 8-bit ASCII is the same as everyone else's 8-bit ASCII.

As an aside, is there a UNIX/WENIX/Linux standard for 8-bit ASCII?

R, Tom Q. (from r.c.m)

Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Although ... Weenie UNIX ?... nah - self redundant. : )

R, Tom Q.

Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

All lead bullets have some area in which to store lubricant. These grooves are designed to be filled with a lubricant mixture , usually beeswax and Alox in varying proportions etc

Some of the latest bullets use a knurled surface and are impregnated with various lubricants. Federal made a line of nylon coated lead bullets which Im inordinatly found of for self defense loads. Very soft Keith style blunt nosed hollowpoints of good weight that may be fired rather fast from short barreled belly guns. The Nyclad..which unfortunately..Federal seems to have discontinued..damit. Im down to 4 boxes for the short guns.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner