Re: What is it? XL

RCM as well

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner
[ ... ]

O.K. I knew that the accent was missing, but wasn't sure whether it should be one or two 'n's.

Sure -- how many do you want? :-)

The one which I have selected on my Solaris 8 machine is:

ISO8859-15

but the Solaris 2.6 machines don't go beyond:

ISO8859-1

and no -- I don't know what the actual difference is. :-)

There were about twenty to choose from when I installed the OS, and this one is probably the best bet overall. Some of them don't handle American English very well -- being optimized for other languages. And some are totally confusing (the ones which implement the Japanese Kanji for example. :-)

I haven't really explored which ones my OpenBSD systems offer -- both the ones on Intel CPUs and the ones on Sun SPARCs.

But, when you don't know what will be reading what you post, plain 7-bit ASCII is the safest. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Wow - ain't standards great? And so many to choose from!

Thanks for the info.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

ISO-8859-1 (ISO Latin 1) would be appropriate for this case; to do it right you'd have to include a charset header (I don't recall the exact format) in your post as well.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Agent has that option, Options>posting preferences>Introductions, and put %newsgroups% in the appropriate line. As in "%from% wrote on %date% in %newsgroup% :" It helps me to keep track of where I was reading and responding to what.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) is by definition

7-bit.

The typical 8-bit character set on linux is ISO-8859-1 (Latin) which is based on 7-bit ASCII + a number of western european characters.

Older unix may support 8-bit ascii, but the upper 128 bytes are not standardized between vendors.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

ASCII has both 7 and 8 bit level codes. 7 is common on teletypes, while 8 is controlling other functions typically on electronic equipment.

There is 5 & 6 level codes - Baudot and Trascii. 6 level code was needed for some bit slice machines. Only the 6 level (of the two) has ASCII roots.

Martin [ has used all four ]

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

So -- there are some differences:

8bit 16bit 8859-1 8859-15 ====================================================================== 0xA4 0x00A4 # CURRENCY SIGN EURO SIGN 0xA6 0x00A6 # BROKEN BAR LATIN CAPITAL LETTER S WITH CARON 0xA8 0x00A8 # DIAERESIS LATIN SMALL LETTER S WITH CARON 0xB4 0x00B4 # ACUTE ACCENT LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Z WITH CARON 0xB8 0x00B8 # CEDILLA LATIN SMALL LETTER Z WITH CARON 0xBC 0x00BC # VULGAR FRACTION ONE QUARTER LATIN CAPITAL LIGATURE OE 0xBD 0x00BD # VULGAR FRACTION ONE HALF LATIN SMALL LIGATURE OE 0xBE 0x00BE # VULGAR FRACTION THREE QUARTERS LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Y WITH DIAERESIS 0xD0 0x00D0 # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER The (Icelandic) LATIN CAPITAL LETTER The 0xDE 0x00DE # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER THORN (Icelandic) LATIN CAPITAL LETTER THORN 0xDF 0x00DF # LATIN SMALL LETTER SHARP S (German) LATIN SMALL LETTER SHARP S 0xF0 0x00F0 # LATIN SMALL LETTER ETH (Icelandic) LATIN SMALL LETTER ETH 0xFE 0x00FE # LATIN SMALL LETTER THORN (Icelandic) LATIN SMALL LETTER THORN

Aside from everything from 0x81 through 0x9F being defined as control characters, which is how they are handled on my system. But I see postings from Windows boxen and from Macs which use characters in that range for something or other.

Merry Christmas DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

AFAIK, DOS and Windows use 0-32 for control (although they display (have graphics associated) if you print them properly), for instance ALT+007 is BEL (system beep if sent to CON (which is keyboard input and monitor output)), and in text mode, a large dot/bullet. Hmm, looks like Terminal font (comes with Windows) prints most of them properly. Everything above

127 is just extended characters, for making text windows for instance. Accented letters. Some Greek bits. Well heck, here's the charset I grew up with:

... - Whoa, that was truely random, it BSOD'd when I opened the FTP client. Good thing I saved this first. Hrm, but why did I save it? Maybe it wasn't so random . . . *strokes chin* Anyways.

"I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!" - Homer Simpson Website @

Tim Williams

I'll probably continue to restrict the characters in my posts to (7-bit) ASCII.

R, Tom Q.

Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Thanks, Martin, DoN, & Tim, for the info.

R, Tom Q. Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Thanks for the information, Scott & Martin.

I'd never heard of Trascii before - that's interesting.

I have worked with Baudot before, which could also get interesting, especially when the [FIGS] code wasn't recognized, or when the current loop wasn't set to "reverse" (IIRC, "reverse" was normal operation in the US Navy).

R, Tom Q.

Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush