Where to send jointer knives to be sharpened? Any places take cutterhead and all?

I've got a combo table saw and jointer like this one: circa. 1945/46

have dismantled the jointer to give it a deep cleaning, wire wheeling, de-rusting, and whatever else I can find to do. I located some original paperwork for it at the Old Woodworking Machines site. The mfg. advises returning the cutterhead when service is needed, and to have the knives sharpened and installed at the factory. Are things still done that way? My cutterhead is fine, but if I send the knives out for sharpening, can I send the whole thing and have the knives mounted there?

I thought I would get them sharpened and then have to install them myself - a job I was not looking forward to. If I can have it done elsewhere and then adjust the outfeed table to match, I think that may be less of a headache.

So, the question is where can a job like this be done? All recommendations appreciated.

Reply to
kimosabe

-------------------------------------- Remove blades and have them sharpened.

Re-Install using a magnetic gage available at almost any wood working supply house.

Piece of cake.

BTDT.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I don't know of anyplace that will take the entire head anymore. Back when that machine was made, they wanted you to send it to the factory where I suppose they had jigs set up just for the purpose of resetting the knives in those heads. Any good sharpening service can handle those knives and they aren't a big deal to set yourself. If you've been on OWWM you can find info there for setting them. Also if you don't have a spare set it might be time to buy a new set. Be sure to get the correct thickness for your machine.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

tp://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=3D2307

Square or round cutterhead?

Reply to
Father Haskell

On Apr 6, 10:14=A0pm, Father Haskell wrote

Round. I found an interesting page on cutterhead shape.

kimosabe

tp://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=3D2307

Resharpen them yourself. Here is a jig you can make in a couple hours.

GarageWoodworks

If you send the whole head out, I would think that they would certainly remount the knives BUT would they be properly adjusted to YOUR particular machine and any deaviations in mounting position that may be present from one identical machine to the next? Typically you adjust/index the knives to your out feed table, there is a reason for the adjustments on both sides of the cutter head slot to compensate for an out feed table that is not in perfect alignment with the cutter head.

Reply to
Leon

"kimosabe" wrote

************************************** NC -I have two sets, and install one set while the other is out being sharpened. Also, if I nick one badly, and need to put out the product, I will have a sharpened set right there ready to install **************************************

I thought I would get them sharpened and then have to install them myself - a job I was not looking forward to. If I can have it done elsewhere and then adjust the outfeed table to match, I think that may be less of a headache.

So, the question is where can a job like this be done? All recommendations appreciated.

NC -Challenge yourself. It isn't that tough. Learn how to install them. A magnetic blade installing jig makes it super easy. Doing it with a plastic straight edge isn't even that tough. Rest the straight edge on the outfeed table. Rotate the cutter around until the blade just barely picks up the rule. Repeat for each blade, on each end.

You can't call yourself a real woodworker if you can not install blades and maintain your own machinery.

Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans