What is it? Set 383

I need help with a couple of the items this week:

Rob H.

2213 - bicycle spoke wrench
Reply to
Ed Huntress

2211: a tool for caulking boat planking
Reply to
George W Frost

That's one massive YoYo!!!

Reply to
David

of early 1900's. Except it is too big and heavy! I wouldn't want to mess with anybody who could lift that thing.

Maybe it is a stunt piece or something like this. I know that many of these weights were hollow. That way they could travel with them and fill them with sand or whatever. Perhaps the weight listed is the full weight and not the hollow weight. If so, the weight would be much less if hollow.

Or something else completely unrelated.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

2209 - Lid lifter for wood/coal stove.

2210 - Looks like a HUGE cannon round

2211 - Looks like a caulking tool

2212 - Looks like a clamp tool. Used with band clamps

2213 -

2214 -

2215 -
Reply to
Steve W.

Naaah. It's modern "art".

Reply to
Doug Miller

More likely a frustrated bowler! ; )

Seriously, I might expect maybe to thread rope around it--to form the support end of of a tackle and pulley (reverse) hoist of some sort. Sorry if I've abused terminology with which I am not that familiar.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

desk, or maybe heavier duty. Notice that you may be able to "wind it up, and fit it into place"--much like a torsion-spring for a garage door (still for sale, btw)! ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Replying to my own post--well, it only goes around 180 degrees max. But I still think this is on the right track.

Bill

Reply to
Bill
2210 - Double barrel wrecking ball(s)? I don't have a clue, but I'm also thinking some sort of heavy duty wheel-axil assembly, possibly for helping align some machinery chassis, during chassis construction. Far fetched - A spacer, for assembling of train wheel/ axil pairs to be parallel to one another.

The center section is missing its grease zerk. LOL

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

2210 ? How about a chocked roller holding a chain or cable to hold open a gate that may need to be lowered in an emergency. The gate could be for water, fire, security, or defense.

If the gate weighs considerably less than 1500 pounds, one watchman could remove the chocks. The inertia of the roller would slow the initial descent of the gate, giving people below more warning than a free fall.

Reply to
J Burns

Correct

Reply to
Rob H.

Looks to me like the balls run in channels--some kind of flattening device?

Reply to
Mouse

It isn't part of a roll-top desk, it's a reproduction of a device from the

16th century.
Reply to
Rob H.

Seems like some kind of counter weight.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny
2209 ? 2210 shipping land mines? 2211 hub cap remover / re-installer? 2212 home made duck bills? 2213 I already saw the correct answer. So I will guess spaghetti portion tool and cutter. 8>) 2214 ? (my daughter th> I need help with a couple of the items this week:
Reply to
Michael Kenefick

2209a,b,c) Looks like a tool for moving part of a wood stove or perhaps shaking the grate to clean it out in a coal-fired furnace. 2210) Looks like as serious weight lifting barbell -- except that the center bar seems too short to allow the lifter to get both hands on it at the same time, and at that weight, one would hardly expect to lift it with only one hand. (But, it is rather difficult to judge the separation of the weights from the overall length of seven feet. 2211) This showed up before in Rec.crafts.metalworking, and I believe that it was identified as a tool for driving oakum into the slots between boards on a ship's hull. 2212) Some sort of crimping tool -- though not right for either electrical or hydraulic hose crimps, so I'm not sure what it really is. The part number sort of looks like what Ma Bell put on tools issued to its workers. 2213) *This* one I know quite well. I used to have one. It is the tool for adjusting the tension in bicycle spokes by turning the nipples out at the rim. This one is missing one thing which mine had -- the zinc anti-rust coating. Looks as though someone found it covered by rust, and wire-brushed it to death. 2214) Not at all sure what this is -- unless it is mounted on a wall by some hidden part, and both projections move as clock hands

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

2210 - I like that better than my first idea. A counterweight rolling on an inclined plane in greased tracks. If the weight is 1500 pounds and the thing to be lifted (perhaps a gate) weighs 500, it will balance with an incline of 19.5 degrees. You need only to overcome friction to raise or lower the gate.

I imagine it would roll in greased grooves and the cable would be attached to a greased fitting over the red bulge. The hole might be for automatic lubrication.

I see several advantages compared to a hanging counterweight.

  1. It's out of the way.

  1. Behind the normal range of motion, the tracks could curve up to arrest the motion of the weight instead of letting it crash into anything if the cable breaks.

  2. The cable would bend 110 degrees instead of 180, meaning, with a given pulley diameter, less friction loss, less cable wear, and less strain on the pulley.

  1. More inertia than a 500-pound hanging weight, so that it will move slowly and if the worker gets the gate moving, it will tend to open or close all the way.

  2. Easier and safer to service than a hanging weight.

If it was attached to a fire escape and slightly overbalanced the weight of the ladder, the ladder would swing down fairly slowly when somebody descended. A "dip" at the top of the inclined plane would hold the counterweight so that once down, the ladder would stay down.

Reply to
J Burns

16"-18" assuming the floor tiles are 12" squares
Reply to
Stephen Quinn