Old jointer knives update

Went to Sears awhile ago. Their blades for a jointer look identical to the blades that came off my vintage craftsman jointer with one exception, the ones at sears are 1/16 of an inch shorter. In my old manual for this jointer, it says to let the blade overhang the cutterhead 1/16 of an inch on each side. I could nto do that with these. I am thinking it still might work. They are 24.99. What do you think?

Reply to
stryped

I think you should take up stamp collecting as a hobby. :)

Reply to
efgh

I think that you need to experiment -- and *think* -- a little bit before posting. _Of_course_ they'll work.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Reply to
stryped

You forgot the "think" part of Doug's advice. Why do you think they said to have them stick out 1/16" at each end?

Hint 1) If the original ones don't stick out of one end, what has happened at the other end?

Hint 2) Can you think of any possible negative effects from your answer to #1?

Hint 3) What negative effects do you think will happen if there is only a 1/32" overhang?

If you can't figure this out, you will be pretty unhappy with this hobby--all too often, you have to make a judgement and figure out how to do something because something else didn't work exactly to plan (in my case, always due to wood movement, never a measurement or cutting error on my own part). Wanting to follow directions is good, but being slave to them to the extent shown in this question indicates the wrong mindset/personality type for this hobby, IMHO.

Reply to
alexy

Beware of Sears jointer knives. DAGS on Jo4hn and jointer. I wrote a series of posts a year or two ago. I bought some Sears knives that were .008" thicker at one end which is more than enough to send them flying. If you need that kind of excitement, OK, but I would measure first.

You can get quality knives in that size from Freud and others (DAGS jointer knives) and they might even have the proper overhang. Even cutting the size of the knives will make Sears extra money. twitch, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Read the manual again and I am confident that you will finfd it says 1/16" overhang on outside edge .... to allow for rebating. Think about it. What is the point of having overhang on the fence side?

Reply to
Paul D