Where do the guys on the Woodsmith tv program get that straight wood?

Every time I see those Woodsmith guys on the tv, they have super straight absolutely knot free wood. Where the heck do they get it?

Do you guys always have wood with no twist in it? If not, how do you get rid of it?

I only have a 6" jointer. Am I stuck with hand planes?

Pete Stanaitis

Reply to
Pete S

--------------------------------- At a good wood store, Home Depot, Lowes don't count.

----------------------------------

----------------------------------- All rough lumber is cupped, twisted, bowed, etc.

Take your pick.

That's why jointers and thickness planes exist.

-------------------------------------- That's all I had, worked for me.

I regularly rip, joint and re-glue boards wider than 5".

---------------------------------------

----------------------------------------- Only by choice.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 00:50:12 -0600, Edward A. Falk wrote (in article ):

Where do they get that double sided tape that comes with the confounded peel away backing already dog eared for easy removal?

-BR

Reply to
Bruce

Yes, I'd like to know more about the tape, too. I've heard that it's "carpet tape". But I bought some and it didn't work very well for me. Is there some specific brand or type that I should be looking for?

In the latest issue of Wood magazine, they had a neat article about jointing a board that is wider than your jointer. To do it, you need this kind of tape. To late for my current bench top project, but I'll use the process next time.

Pete Stanaitis

-----------------

Reply to
Pete S

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 00:50:12 -0600, Edward A. Falk wrote (in article ):

Where do they get that double sided tape that comes with the confounded peel away backing already dog eared for easy removal ============================================================================= The secret to peeling double sided tape is to apply the tape then take a knife and slice it a few inches from the end. It is then easy to pick up the ends of the slice with the knife blade. Standard machine shop practice.

-BR

Reply to
CW

"CW" wrote in news:HcydncY92eM1GeLSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

If they would put the backing on in two slightly overlapped pieces (0.5mm is probably enough), getting the backing off should be much easier. I guess the trick is to make sure it doesn't come off before it's ready to be taken off.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Only the top piece. The bottom piece still needs a stage grip to get it started...

Reply to
Richard

Richard wrote in news:_bCdnTDZgf_DJuLSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Maybe a zig-zag would work, then.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 18:04:54 -0600, CW wrote (in article ):

The secret to peeling double sided tape is to apply the tape then take a knife and slice it a few inches from the end. It is then easy to pick up the ends of the slice with the knife blade. Standard machine shop practice.

Interesting!

When making my round frames on the router table, I use 4 or more pieces of tape to hold the frame to the jig. Peeling away the backing (with a razor blade) usually results in peeling away the tape on the first few tries. This trick may be a real sanity saver...

-BR

Reply to
Bruce