where the heck do all the old kitchen cabinets go?

About 2 years ago I finally got my woodshop going (

I needed (and still do need) a work bench. Not a regular woodworkers bench, but a thing with drawers and doors and as large a flat surface as I can get. I googled around a lot and made screen copies of anything that looked good to me. Then I looked over the whole bunch of pictures (about 20 or them) and picked out the size, shape and design that looked like "just what I want". It turns out that is was an 8 foot long Kitchen sink cabinet that someone had put a new top on. Note: I don't want to build one: I just WANT one.

Anyway, I have been looking for a source for one of those in decent condition on and off since and I just can't find a source. Where do they go? There must be thousands of them. Do they get scrapped out when they are replaced? A guy at a local cabinet shop says that most of his customers put them down in the basement so he doesn't ever get any. Okay, but not EVERYONE has to have cabinets in the basement. Where are the rest of them.

western Wisconsin, out in the sticks, Pete Stanaitis

-------------------

Reply to
spaco

Is there a Habitat for Humanity outlet within reach? Here's my local one in North Carolina.

they have a site finder for something close to you.

Reply to
Richard Evans

Try Craigslist, I sometimes see them listed under 'free'

Reply to
Limp Arbor

watch craigslist for one

Reply to
charlie

Is there an architectural salvage place in your area?

Nova

Whenever I've pulled any out, they came out in pieces, they were so shoddily built.

Guess that doesn't help you much, but good luck in your search.

You might try the orange or blue store for off-the-shelf cabinets. They're usually pretty reasonably priced, especially if you're already seriously considering 2nd hand.

jc

Reply to
joe

Last time I did that, I ended up with a dog.

Reply to
Robatoy

I recommend you scrap the kitchen cabinet idea. Go around to construction dumpsters and salvage some plywood and framing lumber and build your own. The best time to collect plywood is when the roofing is being done.

I salvaged lumber in my spare time, this way, for about 2 weeks this past summer in a subdivision being built. Results: I double-decked my overhang to the shop (14' x 30') and made 5 floor/work cabinets and several wall cabinets. I still have a stack of plywood 8' high and lots of framing lumber under the overhang. Once a few contractors learned what I was collecting for, they gave me several full sheets, to boot. Note: Not all contractors allow you to salvage from the dumpsters...liability! It's not unusual to find quarter to half rolls of Tyvek in the dumpsters, also.

When the road in front of my house was being widened, 7-8 yrs ago, I salvaged 21 full sheets and 32 half sheets of 3/4" CDX.... remnants of catch basin construction. Also, 250' of 8" "old/used" PVC water line, with sleeves.

I simply asked if I could salvage.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny