Where to Kitchen cabinets for decent price?

Plan to remodel my kitchen with new cabinets. So I went to home depot and got an estimate for a KraftMaid cherry cabinet in sunset color.

The quotes come out to be $15k+ just for the cabinets (with plywood upgrade), which seems like a lot to me. I am in San Jose, CA. I was planning to spend somewhere around $5k-$8k on cabinets. Our kitchen is

13x14, U shaped (frig on one side, stove on other side, sink in the middle. The amount of cabinet is average (large window in the middle above sink.

How is HD's kitchen cabinet price? Is KraftMaid more expensive than other brand? What other brands of cabinet should I look into to cut down the price? Maple is generally cheaper but the medium color maple we saw (honey-spice) have the same price index as the cherry one (17).

Would I have better luck contacting some local cabinet store? I went to some Asian stores, and have gotten quotes in the 2k-5k range for all plywood, dark cherry cabinets (made in China of course). The hardware (drawer rails, lazy susan spin) does not seem to be of too high quality, but the cabinet itself feels fine. The selection is somewhat limited. I prefer the feeling of the upgraded KraftMaid drawer hardware. (HD said $26 for each drawer).

Is HD's cabinet price average? on the high end? I know my question is very open ended, I am very new to this. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Raymond

Reply to
nospam.kitchen

snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote on 31 Jul 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

Prices vary widely on a regional basis. You can't reasonably compare with anybody outside your area. I've always found that the Lowes Depot prices are high.

I recommend you talk to some custom cabinet shops. They'll show you what they make and how they make it. You can decide for yourself whether they do a good job, because they'll have partially completed work in the shop for you to see.

Again, prices will vary, so talk to several shops. The guy across the freewahy from me is expensive. The one over in Fort Worth is very low, and his work is very good. Guess where I go.

I make cabinets for clients, and I can't beat the shop's price. They can sell me a complete door for less than I'd pay for the wood -- something about buying wood in traincar lots....

One of your friends is bound to know some woodworkers. Ask them which shops do good work; you'll shorten your search.

Reply to
Steve

I've had a few not-very-good experiences with KraftMaid. For instance, on a recent install, it took them *six* tries to get me four good doors for a corner wall cabinet (pair of bi-fold doors on each side of the corner).

One of the doors that shipped with the cabinet had the hinge holes mis-drilled, which prevented proper mounting. And it didn't ship with all the hinges, either.

First replacement arrived with the hinge mounts drilled on the wrong side.

Second replacement was *two*inches* too narrow. (How the heck did *that* get past quality control?)

Third replacement arrived *broken*. Traces of finish inside the cracks showed that it was *already* broken before it went to the finishing room. (How did that one get past QC, either?)

Fourth replacement was OK.

But it took another shipment yet, before I got all the hinges.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The price will obviously depend on the size of the kitchen. Ours is "compact" but not tiny, and we have just paid approx. $6500 for natural maple "Medallion" cabinets at Menards (Midwest chain). Menards' regular price is 68% off "list" on these cabinets, and we bought when they had an additional 20% off the top-of-line versions (there are three different qualities in this brand). These have solid wood frames, with veneered plywood sides, back, top and bottom. We paid a little more still for upgraded drawer mechanisms with full opening and self-closing but slam-proof features.

I am not sure that KraftMaid is even the top-of-the-line brand available from HD.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Just my opinion, but I just installed 10k worth of Crapmaid cabinets and was not happy. Granted, it would have easily cost me 20k+ for custom cabs, but still. I expect at least a reasonable build quality. LH doors that were supposer to be RH, poor construction quality, mismatched panels (I bought Cherry Honeyspice). Next time, I'll do it differently. Mark

Reply to
Mark

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 23:57:48 GMT, Mark graced this newsgroup with:

conversely, our Kraftsmaid cabinets from HD were competitive in price from the independents in our area and the quality is outstanding. We had zero problems with its installation or fit and finish.

Reply to
Max

May I ask approximately how much the cabinets cost?

Thanks.

Raymond

Reply to
nospam.kitchen

Acceptable levels of fit and finish vary. Kraftmaid shitcanned their head QC guy a couple years ago, and finish QC especially went directly into the shitter.

The box stores are tough to beat on price, but don't expect much if any help with design. And that's where a real cabinet store earns their money.

Cabinets and kitchen design are a lot more complicated than they appear. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

I ended up getting custom maple for about the same price as top quality from the big show room type places. A friend referred me to this cabinetmaker and the results were great. I wish I knew a more reliable way to find good craftsmen and tradespeople. Beat the bushes for a recommendation and see what you can find before you go with the big box store.

Reply to
frank megaweege

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 01:45:02 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@none.com graced this newsgroup with:

For 30 cabinets with slow draw drawers and installation, about $18k.

Reply to
Max

responding to

outdoorskitchen wrote: I find this well know kitchen accessories and outdoors kitchen in Europe is also now almost all kitchen supplier in USA
download the free catlogue and the accessories cabinet price list, the quality is the top price is very competitive he brand name is Ronda Outdoors Kitchen.

Steve wrote:

Reply to
outdoorskitchen

replying to nospam.kitchen, Jason wrote: Have always used Perceptive Fittings in Nottingham.

they dont advertise the fact they do them but there prices have always beaton the best quotes i have had.

Reply to
Jason