Black Walnet Tree

I had the opportunity to grab about 25 cut tree pieces of very old black walnut and wondering if there is any value to them? The sizes range from 15h x 15dia to 30h x 26dia (inches) or more as I didn't measure all of them. I plan to keep a few for myself hoping to make something from them but wondering if others may be interested as well. If pictures are helpful, they can be seen here >>>>>

think?

Reply to
Allen Wrench

No value whatsoever. Send them to me and I'll get rid of them for you.

Reply to
Steve Turner

I think I see two platters and a nice bowl there. If you're willing to send a few, I'll pay for the freight.

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

If you have any designs on using this wood seal the end grain or the checking will continue and you'll have some nice firewood... ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

The smaller log (limb?) would make a nice rolling pin, even if it would be for decor, only. Rolling pins make for nice gifts for your dedicated cooking friends.

All sorts of uses for those logs.

Do you have access to the root ball(s)? If you can easily get the root balls, that is some really nice burl/figured wood. Root balls are hell to dig up by hand, but if there is a backhoe, tractor or some other equipment handy, get the rootball(s), also.

Sonny

Reply to
cedarsonny

Yes these are useful sources of nice lumber. You need to learn a bit about proper drying of whole logs and wait it out until they are ready to use. Then ave some great fun breaking them down and making stuff.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

You betcha. What idiot MF cut them that short? Makes a grown man cry! Well, at least small carvings and lathe articles can be made from them. Paint the ends of the logs tonight!

is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud

Reply to
Larry Jaques

nearby, but I will ask the local Woodcraft when I go there today after work. Any other coating you recommend?

Thanks

Reply to
Allen Wrench

I never shipped wood before. Where do you live?

Reply to
Allen Wrench

I thought I had replied again, but I guess I hit the wrong post button.

If you had planned to make boards with any of those logs, you could saw the= m now, to say 5/4, and they would dry faster. Any warpage, for that length= of board, would be insignificant and easy to remedy. Sticker and paint th= e ends.

For turning a project, you can turn while still green, it's easier turning = green wood. Turn the piece down until the project is 70%,80% maybe 90% fin= ished, let dry (and the wood shrinks), then finish the project later. This= way, the drying time is reduced. Those logs, as is, will take a long time= to dry.

Sonny

Reply to
cedarsonny

green wood. Turn the piece down until the project is 70%,80% maybe 90% finished, let dry (and the wood shrinks), then finish the project later. This way, the drying time is reduced. Those logs, as is, will take a long time to dry.

OR, he can use PEG (polyethylene glycol-1000) to speed up the process.

Dave

My Woodcraft carries Anchorseal, or did the last time I ran out. They used to have their own branded "green wood sealer." I didn't notice any difference between the two.

Reply to
Drew Lawson

Wax works, so does heavy latex paint (buy some mis-mixed at your local big-box store)

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

God forbid you order it online and it gets delivered the next day...

-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I lost an entire lot of madrone stump wood after trying to seal it with thick latex paint, 2 coats. It didn't seem to slow it at all.

-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, I had a big pile of sugar maple that I tried to seal with a heavy coat of latex paint, and that didn't work for shit. The "Green Wood End Sealer" that Woodcraft sells is wax based and actually *works*, but they only sell it in gallons, and at the rate I acquire green wood for drying (not very often) it will probably last me my entire life and beyond.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Madrone - nice pretty wood when you get some stable.

The tree has a weak trunk and bends with the wind. It is a fantastic tree - having a 24" diameter trunk running almost horizontal for 20 feet before bending.

I have two walking canes that I cut from young 1" thick trees. I could not shape the shapes they are if I were crazy!

Good luck - wood likes to explode releasing internal pressures.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I gave it away as firewood after it all cracked on me. Next time, I use anchorseal or polyethylene glycol.

-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The ONLY way I have found to handle Madrone is boil (about an hour per inch of thickness)

I get almost zero failures with this method

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Racine, WI

Reply to