Where Do You Get Yours?

...your scrounged wood, of course. I'm trying to gather some information together for one of my pages titled _Some Sources of Used Wood_. Presently, I have several paragraphs describing my experiences. I would like to include some of yours, much like I did with the Uses of Woodscraps section on another page. I will cut and paste good suggestions and label the grouping _from rec.woodworking_ or something like that and include the message header. TIA

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

Roadside discarded old furniture. This is rarely real wood these days, but the occasional dining table, coffee table, etc. will have solid wood legs, which I re-shape into other legs or turn something else from them. Dream Find: whole pianos I can dismantle and re-use. There's even some ebony there (black keys)!

Reply to
gpdewitt

Mostly out of alleys. Just wandering down the alley, particularly the week before the city does uncollected trash pickup can produce a lot of neat stuff.

I got some good clear maple from an old chair that I am recycling into a quilt rack, for example.

And don't forget storm damaged trees.

rcook5

From work, of course. The other day I was contemplating not buying anything until all the stuff I've dragged home was gone. One slight problem, most of that is 3'-4' and under in length but then when you get down to it it's not that often (or that much) that you need longer lengths.

Then again, maybe it's me.

UA100, who works for an architectural woodworking company so we gets all kinds of stuff and not just the same old same old...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I've been getting a lot of 1 x 2 ash from the crates that Sears packs their snowblowers in. Once planed it makes for some nice inexpensive frames for my scrollwork.

Kevin Daly

Kevin Daly

Anywhere and everywhere. I'm always on the lookout. Recently, my best wood comes from fallen trees (cherry, white oak, apple, dogwood, sourwood, ash, hickory, walnut, popular, and pine). I am lucky to live in an area (E.TN) where hardwoods grow like weeds! The pallets I got are just too time consuming to clean up.

Reply to
Phisherman

My woodpile. Sometimes the firewood hauler and I disagree about what should be firewood. I take logs to the mill for lumber, and turn any chunk that appeals on my lathe after chainsawing. Bandsawn, book-matched spalted pieces from firewood chunks make great tops for small boxes, or even the boxes themselves.

Reply to
George

Demolition sites. Best score to date was when some old workshop/garages came dowm, I ended up with 36 pieces of 80 year old pine (A beautiful red colour when cleaned up) 12 to 14 feet long x 7ins x 3ins. Most of it went into building my new 26 x 10 workshop.

Mick

Reply to
Michael Stanford

So far what I have and will update every day or so. No images, just text so it loads fast.

for your continued help.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

"Lawrence L'Hote" wrote ...your scrounged wood, of course.

While it's not always used, I ask at garage sales if they have any lumber they want to get rid of. Many times they hadn't thought about that and just give it to me or sell it at a low price. One older guy had been collecting bits and pieces for years and said "take it, I don't want it anymore." Lots of variety in that stash, mahogany, teak, oak, etc. I did pay him a small amount because I just felt bad getting it for free.

Reply to
Phil Anderson

You hit pallets but left out dunnage. I get 4x4 red and occasionally white oak hunks a little over 3' long from the dunnage pile at work. Most of it is crap, but there are a few gems now and again.

I haven't found a lot of good first rate uses for it, but it's great for making mallets. How many mallets can a man use in one day? True, which is why I stopped picking it up.

Reply to
Silvan

Here in west central Florida....of late it's been downed trees from the hurricane(s). Lot's of large oaks for some reason, literally tipped over and uprooted. I'm envious of southern Georgia though...up there I heard it was the pecan trees!. Then there's always oak pallets and the main rails on them. A nearby hardwoods company also uses some nice woods as separators when they air-dry wood, the wood types vary. I'm still trying to score some cedar or cypress from the recent storms though.

bill

Reply to
Bill Otten

My fence. When we moved in the back yard was fenced with 25 year old cypress. It looked ragged as it was touching the ground in places. After removing the screws and planing got some nice boards. Made a lot of bird houses, windmills and toys. The original boards were unplaned and 5/4, 8-12 inches wide.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Mallets? The fish or the haircut?

Reply to
patrick conroy

Must be the locomotive.

Reply to
Robatoy

Many of my solid surface shipments come on 12-foot x 30" pallets. The runners are two long timbers of significant heft. The biggest problem is the removal of the spiral/ardox type BIG nails. Many break. Most are ash.

Reply to
Robatoy

hm. usually from logs that other people give me, or from jobsites that they're removing trees. then i can cut them up at my leisure with the wood-mizer, and enjoy all my scrounged wood.

jon e

- not into used lumber

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

Recently helped a friend clean out an old house he'd bought for restoration and resale. He was about to burn a broken lamp/end table and a bookcase. I grabbed them. Table was made from some awesome cherry wood and the bookcase was Mohagany.

Joey

Reply to
Joseph Smith

We repackage parts for automakers. Of late the Chrysler cylinder heads have arrived separated by 12/4x16/4x53 red & white oak and poplar. I check 'em for nails and other metal fragments, run 'em past the shaper & planer and stack 'em waiting until I get enough time to resaw them all into pieces for kitchen cabinets. I'm about there and showed the missus what flat sawn white oak with a dab of tung oil looks like last night and she is definitely on the team for new cabinets!

I also get pieces from folks who advertise "free firewood" alongside the curbs. Some of that 'firewood' is cherry and other fruitwoods.

Bill

Reply to
Anonymous