Where can I find plans/info on building cabinets for the garage?

I'm new to woodworking, but I've got some time to spare, and figure I'll try to organize the garage by building some cabinets to store items. I would prefer something somewhat easy for a first time builder with minimal tool requirements. I would also prefer using cheaper building supplies, and the cabinets need to store a good deal of weight.

I've been doing a lot of googling, and haven't found any plans that match my requirements so far. I wouldn't mind paying for the plans, but just having found any. If anyone can point me to a good site, or if anyone has any advice, then I'll be very greatful.

Thanks in advance! Reza

Reply to
Reza Naima

On 18 May 2004 01:56:11 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@reza.net (Reza Naima) posted:

Built in? Or free standing?

Gee, what an opportunity to make something exactly suiting your requirements, and space available.

I would be cranking up my DeltaCad and making all sorts of drawings of stuff I want to store and how I would like to store it. I've just seen, on one on the binary groups, that corner cupboard with the lazy suzans in it. SWMBO wants one of them to ceiling height :) And I want a similar for my new shed. I think I'll practice on hers first (only joking, darls...) As it happens, I'd just bought a 12" lazy suzan bearing for the heck of it (had to have one :) I am also planning in my head (and many drawings) a reference-book lecturn with a flatish-pyramid, rotating top unit on top of an island, four-sided bookshelf on casters.

Reply to
Sandy

Chances of finding cabinet plans that meet your particular requirements, what ever they are, is slim to none.

On the other hand a cabinet is a cabinet, just a large box with shelves. The construction of one varies little, if at all, from another.

Get a plan for any cabinet that comes close or book on cabinetry and it isn't rocket science to adapt what is your basic box to your own requirements.

As to whether the task will be easy or not is, since there isn't much difference in construction methods for a basic cabinet, pretty much immaterial It's pretty much the same for tools. You can either adapt construction to the tools at hand or you can't..

The big thing to remember with any plan is that most of it has options. IE if the plan calls for shelves mounted in dado's and you don't have a dado blade or router but do have a biscuit jointer it doesn't mean you can't do the job and absolutely have to use a dado. The biscuit jointer will do the job. If you have a router or dado blade and the plan calls for biscuits and you don't have a biscuit jointer the dado will do the job also..

Reply to
Mike G

No one knows exactly what you want but you. Look at plans you figure you can handle with the tools you have, then modify them to suit your needs. It does not take much to add 2" to every dimension on the width if that is what you want. Take a half hour with a ruler, pad, pencil.

I'm not sure what you mean by cheaper building supplies. Plywood versus oak? Sure, great idea. Particleboard instead of plywood? Bad idea. MDF for doors? Heavy, but suitable. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've never miscut a part. Sometimes I cut parts for my next project ahead of time. Usually it is a smaller project. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Garage and shop cabinets are terrific skill building exercises! Don't be afraid to take a chance and experiment. These cabinets are usually built with less expensive materials than a "good" cabinet might be, so tossing a miscut part isn't such a big deal.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I just did two hanging cabinets for the garage. Plans came from Nov or December'ish 2003 issues of Wood - their Idea Shop 5, if I recall correctly. One sheet of BORG Maple/Birch Plywood ($33) made two cabinets. French cleated to the wall.

I cobbeled up some Visio plans if you're interested.

Reply to
mttt

snipped-for-privacy@reza.net (Reza Naima) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Jim Tolpin's book, called "Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets" will get you everything you need, even for a beginner. $19.95 list.

Straight forward, well written, simple illustrations you can modify with a pencil to fit your space.

Have fun.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

An excellent admission.

Think of all the time saved by knocking the bulk off ahead of time!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Although these are not plans, the images here may help you:

jones

Reply to
Rob Jones

Reza:

Ok, I did this and I got my plans from Popular Woodworking. Check their website, might be able to provide a copy on line or at least you can order up an article.

Also, check your local library (the big one in town, or the nearest big city one). Check the stacks for woodworking, cabinet making, etc. You might find Danny Prolux's books which are very,very good.

Finally, just buy a good book - go to Barnes/Borders, or better yet, your local bookseller and see what they got on cabinet making.

I made mine out of MDF - terrible mistake - the panels weigh a TON and they are hard to join properly without a lot of fussing. I'd use 3/4" cabinet ply next time - get the cheapest you can find. After all, it's just a garage cabinet!

MJ Wallace

Reply to
MJ Wallace

Norm did his show a few months back where he constructed a tool cabinet that hung on the wall. It would be perfect for the space limitations of a garage.

Reply to
Upscale

Look for a copy of "Family Handyman" magazine. the September 2003 issue.

All about building economical storage and worksurfaces for a garage.

Unfortunately, I don't _have_ a garage -- condo building with open parking.

*sigh*
Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I would love to see some plans. Please send them to "r ez a at r e z a dot n et" -- remove spaces and replace at and dot accordingly. I have an idea of what I want and the shape, but I have no idea how to built it so it's strong and will support heavy tools and cans, as well as how to properly mount it. Otherwise, it's a box with door and hinges, right?

Thanks, Reza

Reply to
Reza Naima

I just ordered a copy of that issue. Sounds great, but i've got a 10 bussiness day wait now. Maby I'll go check out the local library.

Thanks

Reply to
Reza Naima

I used the plans in (don't laugh) the Black & Decker Guide to home storage:

?R24932B58This was my first project and I had nothing but a circular saw, mitre saw, and router with a couple of straight bits. The book walks you through technique in addition to the plans. It gives you options for making dadoes (Circular saw with guide, etc)

I deviated from the plans in size and materials slightly. For easy doors let me suggest a 1x3 frame, mitred at the corners for joinery. Staple screen door screen to serve as the center panel. Super easy, looks great, and you can see through them without worrying about breaking glass.

This project game me incredible confidence and I've been hooked since.

Reply to
Jay

Reza, I have some shop-type cabinet plans, a few different versions that might give you some ideas at the link below.

Tom Hintz

How about you quit web-squatting on the macsoft.com domain?

Reply to
James Morton

When you butted into a conversation I was having in microsoft.public.platformsdk.security, I wrote you off as a troll. Now that you've butted into ANOTHER conversation I'm involved in, I have to ask:

Who are you and what's your problem?

rob

Reply to
Rob Jones