where to find info on distressing wood?

I want to make some fir boards look old and battered. I was thinking of burning it and then wire brushing it off. seems like this would be pretty messy though. It will be painted after.

Where can I find some information on other ways to do this?

To send me e-mail remove the sevens from my address.

Chrisd

Reply to
.

Use whatever works to get the look you want. Some folks swing a chain against the wook, file the edges, a few hammer dents, drop some things on it. But whatever you do, the distressing has to look as if it was made a long time ago, and then it too has worn smooth. after beating things up a bit, lightly sand the boards to soften the dents, scratches etc. whatever you do to distress the wood.

Reply to
Bob Brogan

messy but effective. a little less messy and a little less effective is wire brushing alone. another approach involves sandblasting.

Reply to
Bridger

Reply to
Robert Kline

Do you have kids? Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

Just build whatever you want out of it and then push it down some stairs...

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

I found I was too "regular" with the blunt instrument marks, so I gave them to the kids.

Randomized well.

Reply to
George

Come on guys where is the standard reply or did that go out while I was away. GOOGLE!

Reply to
Young_carpenter

Try it

To send me e-mail remove the sevens from my address.

Chrisd

Reply to
.

Try this link Chris...

this helps,

Dusty

"A man without a wife is like a fish without a bicycle."

Reply to
Dusty Workshop

OK, build whatever you want out of the wood and then toss it down GOOGLE's stairs.

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

Give the board to a couple of kids to play with out in the yard and in a couple of days get the board back and start your project.

Reply to
Leon

Why would somone beat up a perfectly good piece of wood? You wouldn't buy a new car and run it through a fence would you?

BGP

Reply to
Bert and Eileen Plank