Moss on roof

I know this has been discussed before. What is the best way to rid the roof of moss. It is on the North side of the house.

Thanks

(To send e-mail, remove NOSPAM from address)

Reply to
Brandystew

A zinc strip instaled at the peak will help prevent this. Hardware stores sell a spray for killing moss. But your roofs age and condition also is an issue you should look into

Reply to
m Ransley

Plain and simple, moss don't grow where the shines. Without seeing your house, I'd say that's the root of your problem.

I'll leave the debate over chemical and detergent sprays for everyone else to fight over, but do you happen to have trees throwing a ton of shade for most (if not all) of the day onto the moss-infested section of your roof? If so, having a tree service trim the things back a good bit will help without having to resort to sprays and other crap that requires you to not only spend money on a problem guaranteed to resurface if that's all you do about it, but also climb a ladder or go walking around on your roof.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

Next time you re-shingle your roof, buy anti-moss shingles. You can limit the moss growth by improving air circulation and light by removing/trimming nearby trees. There are specific moss-killer products you can buy but the moss will eventually return. The metal strips work on new roofs--I have them, they work, but I applied the strips the year the house was built, 14 years ago.

Reply to
Phisherman

Get rid of the cause. Too much shade = need to lose some trees (or at least the limbs that are killing that part of the roof).

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz