Moss on roof

I,ve just bought a bungalow and the roof is covered in moss. Can anyone tell me the most likely reason why I have more moss than any other properties nearby? The tiles are concrete as are most in this area.

What are the likely problems caused by roof moss?

All advice welcome.

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Spearey

We and our neighbours all have moss on the roofs our houses. One of them pressure hosed it (from the top) and that cleaned it for a short time but it is now back. Another brushed it off and again it has returned. I had the tiles taken off my roof, they were all cleaned and put back and again the moss is now appearing again. I fitted a copper wire along the ridge and that seems to be helping, copper sulphate will kill moss. I fitted gratings in the gutters to stop the moss going down the rain water pipes but now have to clean them out regularly. I would not do that again as the clumps of moss do not really choke the drains. The moss grows more quickly on the shaded sides of the houses. Do not think that you can stop it.

Reply to
Stewart

The reason moss grows on a roof is the type of tile, roof pitch and vegetation area. Any roof tile constructed of concrete laid on a low pitch slope, after about 10 - 15 years will grow moss. What happens is the cement starts to disintegrate and releases the gravel and sand content, which intern fills up the water channels into which moss gets a foot hold. Certain soft hand made will also grow moss. This type of tile as small air pockets through out the make up. When these get filled up with dust then moss grows. North and north east elevations seem to grow moss more and if the area is surrounded with trees this is a natural element for moss growth. You can scrape off with a flat garden hoe, put copper wire on the roof even take off all the tiles clean them and put them back but you wont stop it for long, you can even spray with moss killer if the enforcement people don't mind it getting into the fresh water table. Cleaning and spraying with a surface sealer is not a good idea, one small hole in the sealer and water gets in the roof cant get out and there is a leak and will take some finding.

There is only one full cure New Tiles

Reply to
keith_765

you can even spray with moss killer if the enforcement people don't

I've got moss on my roof and I keep it down with Pathclear. This is far more effective than Mosskiller, which I find useless. If you leave the moss on and spray it there will be something for the chemical to bind to and last for some time. Mind you, mine is a thatched roof, but that should change the issues.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

All these solutions to a problem which isn't a problem. What harm does the moss do?It certainly looks pretty. And it may also insulate the roof too. Leave it be.

Reply to
PammyT

Problems include retaining water on/in the tiles, where it can freeze and damage the tiles, or work between the tiles.

The moss often dies in the heat of the Summer, when it falls off to block the gutters. Or falls to the groung and gets trodden into the footpath or onto the car or even onto passers-by.

When damp, it actually leads to more heat being conducted out through the roof.

But I just live with mine - the roof is 50' up and I don't like ladders.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

I agree with you in the case of a tile/slate roof. But mine is thatched and I'm not happy with moss growing on the reeds. I feel they will rot away more quickly.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

I live with mine too and simply clear the gutters of all debris including leaves and such when needed.I have never experienced any kind of problem from having moss on my roof and wasn't away that it caused any problem at all.

Reply to
PammyT

Might be worth contacting a thatcher to ask their advice on whether it is harmful and what a solution might be.

Reply to
PammyT

Moss can be a problem as the roots can absorb water and freeze in the Winter, dislodging tiles. We have a very effective solution, a spray that will remove the moss and its roots within a few hours, also discouraging its regrowth. You may like to look at our specific page at

you need any further advice you can also contact me directly.

Sam

2410123

Reply to
samford