central heating timer

Hi all

A question for the electrical people here

I have a gas central heating system and the timer is faulty, its a manual type and its slipping and missing hours etc.

This is my boiler :

The timer has 3 feeding cables going to it :

Cable 1 is the main power to it ( Live, Neutral and Earth ) Cable 2 is to pump ( Live, Neutral and Earth ) Cable 3 is to temparture controller - seen on right of pic (Earth, Brown, Red and Blue )

The question is what type of timer do i need i see loads of different types for central heating in CPC and other electrical places, but are they all suitable connection wise for my boiler ? Im not to bothered about it been manual or electronic type as long as i can set heating to come on at two times per day and switch to perminant etc thats fine. Obviously an electronic one will have more functions etc. Its worth noteing the boiler does not control the time for the hot water, if we want hot water we either switch the emersion heater on manually or put the heating on a bit first. I might put a timer on the emersion heater at somepoint.

On another point what would be cheeper, say for example i wanted hot water when i wake up in the morning is it cheeper to put the haeting on for 30 mins or to put the emersion heater on for 30 mins, i be interested in your comments on this one.

Duncan

Reply to
Duncan Newell

Hi

Any single channel programmer should work. Just make sure that it is rated at 230 volts (most are)

I would have thought that as you have to heat the house up as well as the water when the boiler is switched on then it is probably more economical to heat the water with the immersion if you only require hot water.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth