What was it?

On the the new TOH hour, they showed a lubricant that was in a can & put on with a rag. Said he used it for tool surfaces as well. I guess it has parrafin in it. What was it & how can I get some?

Reply to
Steven Bliss

Probably Waxalit "Sliding Agent and Glue Release", available from Lee Valley in 200 g ( 7 0z) can rahter than in the industrial size 25 & 50 gallon size. Orignally developed for the wood mill industry, craftsman have found it also great for cutting down on glue squeeze out clean up. Michael Fortune mentioned it in one of his demonstrations at a WWing show. Saved him tons of time on glue clean up on spindle chairs. Has the consistency of thickened vasoline. A little on a Q-tip, wipe around the outside of holes, glue, pop off glue and wipe with alcohol to get the Waxalit off.

Also cuts down friction on cast iron tables etc.

Does that sound like what you're looking for? Comes in toothpaste type tube or small pint can size.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

BTW, I found at LV that it is spelled "Waxilit".

Reply to
igor

paste wax?

if so, it's carnauba, not parrafin.

Reply to
bridger

And I brought the can of the stuff in so I wouldn't blow the spelling

- AGAIN. A little of it goes a LONG ways. What's it going for these days?

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Didn't see that, but here are some search results for pure liquid paraffin:

?ViewItem&item=6116596639
do just as good, it stays, and cheaper than camelia oil. Just don't use it for sharpening, might clog up a stone, not that I know for sure. I like the idea of "pure" non-smoking, compared to dirty sooty cheap lamp oil that "has paraffin in it".

What is the TOH hour?

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

$13,

igor

Probably a combination waxes, including carnauba, paraffin, and beeswax, with one or two other ingredients for kicks. Carnauba is the hardest natural wax used for woodworking purposes and is very hard to shine when used alone. Paraffin is not a natural wax, but is, basically, the same as canning wax (used to seal jellies). We all know beeswax, which is the golden, good smelling one that feels a wee bit sticky. The percentage of each used in a mix determines most of the characteristics, while the amount of solvent determines the ease of wiping on. The type of solvent determines the speed of drying...for a lubricant, you want a super slow drying solvent, unless it's for something like gears on a table saw.

Charlie Self "I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

Reply to
Steven Bliss

Are you aware of the irony in titling your post "What was it" when the TOH hour is half comprised of "Ask This Old House" a segment of which is called "What Is It?"

Just struck me funny.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

You can also get a sample pack from the manufacturer for $14.00 or $19.00 (plus tax). See:

that they have two formulas. The original formula contains silicones.

Nova

Looking at the MSDS and whatnot it looks like "liquid paraffin" is marketing-speak for mineral oil.

Reply to
J. Clarke

TOH =3D This Old House Puff

Reply to
Puff Griffis

The only lubricant I use on my tool surface is KY jelly. ;-)

Glen

Reply to
Glen

Time for a DIVORCE!

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 23:28:57 -0400, Nova calmly ranted:

I looked at the MSDSes on those and neither contains any info. No list of contents whatsoever, so there are no solvents? Very strange.

Comprehensive Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques