What have been the worst home handyman accidents you've had,or seen so far ?

Robatoy wrote: | On Sep 12, 1:21 am, "Morris Dovey" wrote: | || My _preferred_ weapons are keyboard and ballot. | | I so wish I had a ballot.

Y'know, I was thinking about that a while back. Not your (r's) ballot specifically, but the notion that citizens of a country aren't the only stakeholders in choosing that country's leaders.

It was just idle thinking, of course, because no one in any country would be willing to give someone from another country a role in choosing their country's leadership. Still, it's an interesting thought - and I've wondered how things would play if the world outside the USA could elect one senator and one representative to our legislature...

| That said, it does not render my views and my ability to express | them as impotent. | It's that 'forest-from-the-trees' thing, Morris.

Absolutely true - that's the "keyboard' part of the arsenal. Discourse /can/ bring about change when well-chosen words are spoken/written in a suitable context.

Well, in a manner of speaking, we're all trees in the forest - even though we'd each like to speak our own piece and be heard as individuals.

It's being worth listening to that's the real challenge.

| I peek over the fence and worry myself sick.

I'll be the first to admit that you have noisy neighbors who (at least sometimes) appear to be completely irrational. :-)

Observe - great. Worry yourself sick - please don't. As a constructive friend, you're highly valued - and I would prefer you stay healthy.

FWIW, before you get into deep worry mode, it makes sense to ask: "Hey, what's going on here? Do I need to worry about you?" There are a couple of benefits to this: first, there may not be as much reason to worry as you originally thought - and second, you've stimulated your neighbor to focus (even if just a little) more on what you see as a problem.

| A lot of my peers were on loan to Iran to build their electrical | networks. They made a lot of friends. So many Iranians we'd love to | have as neighbours. What's with the war drums?

Fear and a certain amount of bigotry. Fear that Iran will develop nuclear weapons as powerful as those we have and fear that they'll act irresponsibly.

I worked (and socialized) with some Irani immigrants in San Jose. I was pleased to give 'em all the furniture I'd built for my apartment when I returned to Iowa, and I'd be still more pleased to have them living next door here.

In order to beat the war drums, it's necessary to /ignore/ the value of individuals. I've concluded that "hawkishness" is inversely proportional to the number of places from which one's friends come and inverse-squared with one's appreciation for cultures other than one's own.

| Won't you add impeachement to you arsenal of keyboard and ballot?

That's not really a solution to the problems we've created for ourselves - for a number of reasons. For instance: How would you feel knowing the head of household next door had carelessly shot a _friend_?

IMO, our stars never shone so brightly as when we focused our efforts on sharing our best with others in need - and they never dimmed so rapidly as when our politicians changed their focus from 'help' to 'control'.

They _still_ don't have 24-hour electricity in Baghdad.

Morris Dovey

| Over time, we grew our own, until we are again overrun.

Perhaps we can learn from our mistakes. Next time we might consider drinking the tea and throwing the _politicians_ into the harbor. :-)

Morris Dovey

You really are a dumb gun fanatic looking for an excuse.

The figures are per thousand people of population. This takes into account the population difference.

I'd stop digging if I were you.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Actually that was the Spanish that started all that. By the time the British arrived small pox, syphilis, and broken promises were well established. The slavery part the indigenous population had already figured out on their own.

And the Spanish put an end to that whole human sacrifice thing.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Hey, ask the stupid Brit that just couldn't resist stirring the anthill.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Actually the law gives a discount to murderers who use chainsaws rather than guns, in that there is often an extra penalty for using a gun but none for using a chainsaw ;)

nick hull

Yeah, they are. They look like print ads. Who produced them?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I forgot it also prevents pregnancy. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

You left out "by other means"

Is there some reason you wish to hide those figures?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

A personal favorite was when my cute secretary at the aircraft factory where I worked in Heston, UK would say to me frequently: "knock me up".

-

Last update: 8/08/07 KarlC@ (the obvious)

Reply to
Swingman

You have True Believer against True Believer. This may take awhile to sort out.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Which of course brings up the immortal words of Claire Wolfe: "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."-- Claire Wolfe

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

on 9/13/2007 8:36 AM Kurt Ullman said the following:

To quote Robin William's character, Presidential candidate Tom Dobbs, in "Man of the Year". "Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reasons."

UK - diapers = nappies

Reply to
willshak

Careful. There were definite distinctions between any number of short hair styles. IIRC a buzz cut was shorter than a crewcut, which was shorter than a butch. The shortest of all was the baldy sour.

"Sh-Boom"

Reply to
clifto

Count the postings to this thread. YOu'll find that even though OT it is generating more interest then anything else going on in this newsgroup right now. That's the First Amendment at work. Don't like it? Then exercise your own rights rather than try to suppress others, by just ignoring this thread.

William Noble wrote:

Reply to
Just Wondering

Lets take if a step further. The one who should be tried is the government who allows such nutters to have guns.

Right?

I mean, it's the next logical step.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

If the government does in fact "allow such nutters to have guns".

Reply to
J. Clarke

IvanOleg, the young guy who runs the website. Rather good photographer, pro second amendment.

Russian immigre as I recall.

He of course does other stuff, chop it down to just the www and look at his other work

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

So it was the Spanish given smallpox infected blankets to the Indians and paying bounties on scalps?

By baptizing the lot of them, then setting them on fire.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

I see no reason to bother continuing with your feeble arguments - your murder rate is three times higher despite your attempts to say gun ownership prevents crime.

Reply to
Colin Wilson