Weird Pipe Found Buried in Yard

Sheilding handles the differential mode, while the twist handles the common mode

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Basically a 2 port switch

Technically a switch, not a hub

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Well Mr. Bright boy, when the power dies, the signal dies with it one wired systems.

All wire is is an elongated resistor that carries power. Try running super long extension cords and watch the voltage drop.

One can only have so many repeaters in line, know why? Those all tell you your signal now can reach 600 hundred feet. Twice what you said was possible.

And you have a whole lot of learning to do regarding microwave's and I am not about to waste further time with you on this.

Reply to
OFWW

With high bandwidth applications on the rise and network systems venturing into new areas such as factory environments, the need for shielded Cat 6 cable has also increased. In these new areas of installation, the environment in which the network cable is run has a large amount of EMI (Electro-Magnetic Interference). Although Cat 6 cables have improved cable twist to handle gigabit Ethernet and reject noise, this by itself is not enough for environments that have high EMI. Using a shielded Cat 6 cable will help in these high EMI installations.

Which I had mentioned earlier is one of the reasons for separating main power lines from network cabling.

But enough of this, I am here for the word working, not the trap of arguments. I am not pointing this at you either.

Reply to
OFWW

SNIPP

8 strands of barbed wire I assume????? It will NOT downgrade it's speed as required to maintain connectivity. Instead it will fail and retry, and fail again, untill it manages to successfully pass the packet. This will NOT result in gagabit speeds - likely even less than 10BT speeds.

SNIPP

I've got gigabit stuff that's technically obsolete too - but would still make someone a DANDY network

About $20,000 worth, at the very minimum when new - and it is NOT CISCO.

Or even. more commonly, a 100Mb connection (still WAY faster than most internets)

The only thing that would justify fiber to the shop is EMI issues - and they would have to be BAD - unless you just happen to have a bunch of fiber net equipment gathering dust in the "sandbox" and you want to play - - - -

And the equipment is leaving you WAY behind as well. I never got CISCO certified because you could go broke just maintaining currency with their new product.

I'm basically "retired" for a year and I know I'm already far from up to date with current technology. I gave up trying to keep up 5 years ago when I offloaded the network management to a third party consultant - who also prooved to be less than current and has now been replaced by a larger and more proficient network consulting/management firm. I wouldn't know where to start with the current setup in the new insurance office facility. It's all enterprise grade stuff surplussed out from Blackberry's downsizing - well over 1/4 million dollars worth of network switches, routers, servers etc

The "obsolete" gear I have sitting here is what came out of the 2 offices when they moved in together in the new facility - virtually all less than 5 years old

SNIPP

Overkill in IT installations is RAMPANT - particularly for home installs.

SNIPP

Apples - oranges - Turnips.

About 27 years and I'm already a dynasaur - and I've never been involved with anything outside the IBM compatible PC world, except for the old 6809 Tandy world. (a bit of Banyan Vines, a bit of Unix Xenix, a bit of Nohell, a touch of OS9 on the 6809 Trash80) - but functionally illiterate outside the MS DOS / Windows world.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Then I suppose they don't really make these things.

Reply to
krw

SNIPP

If you pull too hard on a gigabit cable and damage the cable it will NOT autonegotiate down.

I have seen it slow the network down SIGNIFICANTLY due to dropped packets and retries - to well below a 2mb equivalent. Any one conductor suffering damage in Gb ethernet WILL slow the network down. Or kill it DEAD (at least the one segment)

A kinked Cat5E cable will fail the quality test for GB ethernet. Running the cables parallel to a high current AC conductor will do the same.

It won't slow down the bit-rate - but it will definitely cause deterioration in the service via lost packets and retries, which translates to a slower EFFECTIVE bit-rate. SNIPPPPP

When talking 10BT /100BT, the troublesome auto-negotiation protocols COULD downgrade a 100BT to 10BT, and often provided better throughput on a reliable 10BT connection than on a flakey 100BT - but 10BT is "so nineties"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Data and power, no switch in the line, just the extender which powers the POE device and sends data and are transparent to the data.

Reply to
Idlehands

Capable of sending real time HD video at 30fps without latency, I do know how things work and use them on a daily basis.

You should learn new technology before making your grand generalizations about how things are.

Reply to
Idlehands

What IS driving some people back to wired connections is SECURITY. There are facilities where NO WIRELESS connections are allowed for just that reason.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Nonsense. 30+ feet, through walls and floors. Plenty fast enough for High definition video and anything Internet.

You need a better router. Even the one from the cable company covers my entire house. Three floors, five bedrooms, and >5K ft^2 (including basement).

Evidently not.

Reply to
krw

Already done. Works fine.

Audio bandwidth is miniscule.

Reply to
krw

Exactly. "Good enough" is good enough.

Reply to
krw

Heavens! Someone will hack my television viewing! Oh, the humanity!!!

Reply to
krw

Reading your post brought back a lot of memories, especially about a fast changing world.

I remember designing and building an HO POP in a wall cabinet. Thought it was hot and would save a lot of labor and stuff strewn all about.

Six months later it was made so obsolete it was embarrassing.

I'm debating just trashing what I have here, don't even know what EBay is doing these days on the stuff, or if 3rd world countries are still behind the scenes and it might be useful there.

As to keeping up with the Licensing, unless you worked for a company that supported your training/updating it could be rough.

One of the things I liked to do was setup flawed routers and managed switches at home to help others with diagnosing and working out problems. At the time I usually had a prize for those that made it all the way though, that they could download once all the connections were made. That was fun at the time.

Times have sure changed.

I now prefer woodworking and a garden with edibles, even cooking. :)

Reply to
OFWW

On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 01:08:36 -0400, J. Clarke wrote: SNIPP

Yes. Using public WIFI - at coffee shop or motel, has compromized several of my customers' laptops, at least one corporate bank account, and numerous websites when the owner logged onto his server to manage his website. (Huge damage to the websites -significant cost involved)

We KNOW it was wifi hacks in at least 3 of the cases because of where the hacker got in from and where the customer was at the time (Texas/Mexico , Indonesia, and Thailand)

That's "data thieves", but malicious "code kiddies"are another altogether. They derive "street cred" from their hacks, and when they get credit card information and passwords, hang on!!!!! Thankfully the banks take the hit instead of the customer.

I have NO IDEA how anyone got my bank card number and password - it is ONLY used as identification and my home bank branch (only once at the ATM) and to log into my electronic banking application (which I had only done TWICE before someone successfully used it in Mexico and tried to use it 3 more times ) They got $600 out of my account oin the "trial run" then tried for several thousand (unsuccessfully, thanks to my bank's security settings) over the next couple of days. Cost the bank -not me - and necessitated getting a new bank access card. Not sure WIFI was involved on this one as I only accessed the application ONCE on wifi - and that was on my secured home wifi - the card has never been outside of Canada - muchless been used or referenced outside of Canada - but to have both my card number and my

14 digit very high security password it had to have been "sniffed" somewhere.
Reply to
Clare Snyder

No worries Mr. Clarke is secure in his beliefs, despite evidence in many a "conversations" I have read here.

Reply to
Markem

Up here Bell ofers "Fibe Internet" - touting it as a fiber optics network - but the fiber ends almost a half mile away and the copper from there to here is so bad they could not give me a clean phoine line 5 years ago - and they have no replaced any copper in the intervening years. I have my internet on Cable and it's on;y been down (that I caught it) about 3 times in the last 2 years - for up to about 3 hours but usually only for a few minutes.

100mb down, 10+mb up with 15ms latency I get 12.3Mbps on my phone over wifi

SNIPP

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Yes they do, for a phone line and a cable TV hookup on one side and power on the other side. The EMI On 110 has very little effect on those items. As to the Satellite TV guys they would refuse to do it that way, they are trained to keep them separate on Direct TV.

If you run the power and other lines neatly together it is your problem.

Reply to
OFWW

Music, not voice.

Reply to