Weird Pipe Found Buried in Yard

They will and can hack your smart TV software or app's.

Reply to
OFWW

Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Depends on the damage. I just replaced a network cable that was consistently resulting in autonegotiation from 1 gig to 100 meg and then sometimes failing the

100 meg. It had a lot more problems than "being pulled too hard" though.

Ok, so you have numbers to present that show this? Please show the actual numbers.

I have tried experiments in this regard and Fluke does not seem to be able to detect the high current conductor.

How much slower, based on actual evidence?

So you say that the autonegotiation protocols for 100baseT can reduce to 10 but somehow the autonegotiation protocols for gigabit can't reduce to 100. Why would that be?

Reply to
J. Clarke

If only Direct TV installers were sharp enough to get out of bed in the morning.

EMI isn't the issue, here. It's safety and that isn't a big deal in-wall, either.

It's not a problem.

Reply to
krw

Um, music *is* audio. Even *uncompressed* digital music is only

1.5Mb/channel. I repeat - miniscule bandwidth.
Reply to
krw

So they can then watch my Netflix, too?!!! I'm TERRIFIED, I tell ya'.

Reply to
krw

Clare--I want to make something clear. I am having a problem with the fellow who is asserting that if you run a CAT6 cable to your garage you end up with fire and brimstone coming down from the skies, rivers and seas boiling, 40 years of darkness, earthquakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together . . .

I have never known _you_ to give advice regarding network that was other than sane and straightforward.

Yep.

IIRC Broadcomm was demonstrating their interface chips--they did a similar one with 100baseT a few years earlier.

I was having trouble with the computer I am using right now.

Periodically Internet access would slow to a crawl. Speed was all over the map. The network connection would drop from gigabit to 100 mbit. Speedtest would show speeds as low as 5 Mb/sec but usually more like 50 and sometimes back up to 300 (limit here is my ISP).

Finally tracked down the problem. There was a patch cable that had gotten walked on, had furniture run over it, been gnawed by rodents, and was in a few spots there was bare wire poking out,. Sometimes it was _still_ carrying 300+ Mb/sec.

It's not as fragile as people think it is, at least not when it's being run in a typical residential environment where runs are, compared to what the spec allows, quite short. If you're working right at the limit of what it can do, where signal attenuation is piled on top of everything else it's another story, but that doesn't typically happen in somebody's house.

The devil in me wants to say "good decision".

A couple of years ago I'd agree, but at this point any computer you buy has gigabit and the local Best Buy doesn't even have any switches that don't support gigabit--the cheapest is a 5 port for 30 bucks.

Yep.

I'm not retired but I've been away from the networking world for a long time, still, knowing what a CAT6 cable actually looks like when you cut it open is pretty basic. Where I get lost these days is with all the wifi variants and the 10gig stuff.

Precisely my point. For this situation I would either use wifi to begin with or run a direct-burial cable (note that in my location the town will be on you if you run an overhead cable).

Yep. Spreading FUD. "You're gonna get electrocuted because you ran a CAT6 cable to the garage". So why don't you get electrocuted when you plug in the hedge trimmer to the outlet in that same garage?

It's hard to keep up with all of it. The sad thing is that the kids running it today seem to be lost. I suspect that there's going to come a time when I bring my cable analyzer to work and show the IT people what's wrong with their damned network.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Is it your belief that the normal configuration of twisted pair Ethernet involves powering network devices over Ethernet?

Yeah, the FCC and I are idiots and you're the genius.

Reply to
J. Clarke

What point do you believe you are making?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Please tell us what you believe "switch" to mean.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Thank you. Someone with actual facts.

How they got the password is the real question.

Reply to
J. Clarke

One time back in the '80s I looked into what was needed to access the government's supercomputers for my employer. We realized after a while that we could probably get our own for less than that would cost us. Definitely no wireless there. Everything fiber, Faraday cage around the room in which the access point would be located, specially certified terminals.

On the other hand my employer doesn't have any problem with wifi--presumably they've done their homework on setting it up--half a floor of the building is data security and it's a _big_ building. But there the scenario of someone sitting in the parking lot sniffing doesn't happen--the lot is badge-access gated with the closest point from the building to the fence is over a hundred feet and that fence is on a four-lane with no parking allowed.

Reply to
J. Clarke

And you think you have credibility.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I have run across EMI issues in the past when it was least expected.

Reply to
OFWW

Not from AC line to Ethernet.

Reply to
krw

Do you even know what an ethernet switch is?????

Clue - itis not used to turn it on or off.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

He doesn't have a clue - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Voice is a whole lot less.

My video audio system has seven channels for sound. Multiply that by three movies going on at the same time and it starts adding up, then add the rest of the network traffic to it.

Is it small, yes. Is it something that should be ignored, perhaps, but if you are not aware of it and your bandwidth seems to be seriously degrading you need to be aware of it.

I have had occasion when doing a video chat that its signal was seriously degraded due to a busy nic from background downloading of a major update. It has happened enough times that I now make sure everything's up to date so I can talk to my kids and grand kids. Then again, I suppose I could use a managed switch and program it to offset the issue. But you have to draw the line somewhere to be cost effective.

Reply to
OFWW

LOL actually not netflix per se, but embed voice commands in your movie to enable your voice command programs without you knowing it.

But I was speaking of the TV itself, I was in contact with Samsung last week and this is one of the things they mentioned about increasing the security of their updates for your smart TV's. They are starting to control the sources of where you can download the app's for your TV because of hackers.

Reply to
OFWW

100/10 autonegotiates. Gigabit by definition does not.

Gigabit uses all 8 wires in a cat5 /6/7 cable for full duplex mode

10/100 does not - so with 10-100 you COULD damage 2 pairs without affecting the ethernet.

A bad connection in ANY pair will affect data transmission on gigabit ethernet.

I don't have numbers - just years of experience troubleshooting network cabling.

It might just be a fluke???

All I know is we had a network speed issue and it was solved when we moved the vertical network cable run about 18 inches away from the electrical service sub-panel instead of running them behind the panel

Enough for the database program to fail out on data requests and transfers. Off hand I'd say it cut the speed to about 1/10 when the AC was on, about half speed at other times.

It is my understanding autonegotiation in gigabit ethernet is based on each device reporting (signaling) it's capability (using the base link code word) and the devices choosing the fastest mutually supported speed/configuration - and then it either works or doesn't. If both ends of the segment report giga capability, they ONLY attempt connection at giga speeds and can NOT down-switch to 100, unlike the somewhat problematic earlier 10/100 protocol that COULD (sometimes, if the stars were properly aligned) switch two 100Mbs devices ro 10Mbs if the cabling could not support 10Mbs without errors.

I MAY be wrong, but that is my understanding, and how it was described to me back when gigabit ethernet came on the scene way back about

1998?

The base link code word (from WIKI)

Every fast link pulse burst transmits a word of 16 bits known as a link code word. The first such word is known as a base link code word, and its bits are used as follows:

0?4: selector field: it indicates which standard is used between IEEE 802.3 and IEEE 802.9; 5?12: technology ability field: this is a sequence of bits that encode the possible modes of operations among the 100BASE-T and 10BASE-T modes; 13: remote fault: this is set to one when the device is detecting a link failure; 14: acknowledgement: the device sets this to one to indicate the correct reception of the base link code word from the other party; this is detected by the reception of at least three identical base code words; 15: next page: this bit is used to indicate the intention of sending other link code words after the base link code word;

The technology ability field is composed of eight bits. For IEEE

802.3, these are as follows: bit 0: device supports 10BASE-T bit 1: device supports 10BASE-T in full duplex bit 2: device supports 100BASE-TX bit 3: device supports 100BASE-TX in full duplex bit 4: device supports 100BASE-T4 bit 5: pause bit 6: asymmetric pause for full duplex bit 7: reserved

The acknowledgement bit is used to signal the correct reception of the base code word. This corresponds to having received three identical copies of the base code word. Upon receiving these three identical copies, the device sends a link code word with the acknowledge bit set to one from six times to eight times.

The link code words are also called pages. The base link code word is therefore called a base page. The next page bit of the base page is 1 when the device intends to send other pages, which can be used to communicate other abilities. These additional pages are sent only if both devices have sent base pages with a next page bit set to 1. The additional pages are still encoded as link code words (using 17 clock pulses and up to 16 bit pulses

Reply to
Clare Snyder