we discussed miter saw in length , but how about band saw?

Dave you make a very good point...BUT honestly just how much "expensive" wood are you giving up... ? doing veneer work You bet I would use the band saw without a question... but to re saw a 8/4 piece of Walnut in half prior to dimensioning it I would run right to my Table saw.. 2 passes thru the jointer then the Planner will "loose" more expensive wood then I would loose with a 1/8 inch table saw blade... BUT your point is noted !

Bob

Reply to
Bob G.

If you are a tool collector I am sure that you can justify buying a bandsaw so that you can save a few ounces of wood. I would not advise someone to purchase a bandsaw just to resaw a few boards. Resawing on the bandsaw takes more skill and setup time than on a tablesaw. As their skill grows they will probably be more interested in more complicated projects that might require a bandsaw but until then I recommend investing in wood, not shiny new tools.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

I lived without one for a lot of years, until I got into woodturning... now I wonder HOW I lived without one.. *g*

It's sort of like software... you tend to use the program that you learned first for everything it will do, even if other programs will do it better...

I know a retired accountant that now works for a charity and writes many letters a day using Excel... I can't get him to even TRY word and gave up on him years ago.. *g*

Mac

mac davis

ROFL.

I work for an architectural firm. I asked one of our clients for any available as-built CAD drawings of their existing facitlity for a project we were doing.

Their Facilities Management person provided me with a floor plan; it was drawn in Excel. Yeah, really - don't ask me how they did this. It was, hands down, one of the funniest, most BIZARRE things I've ever seen.

- Matt

Reply to
Matt Stachoni