WE are losing it. (2023 Update)

That is your openion and are certainly entitled to it. But refusing to say the oath for what ever reason does not make a person truer and or of higher moral character. He can just as easily lie later also.

That is just sad.

Reply to
Leon

So you would prefer to be judged by wishey washey types, those that cannot decide one way or the other if they believe in a God or not? I guess it you murdered some one they may find that it is OK.

Reply to
Leon

I doing fine, thanks.

Reply to
Leon

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@q33g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

Good trolling.

I went to the trouble of finding a person who sat on a jury in Texas who took a secular juror's oath, and said a secular oath was also permitted for witnesses, though they are assumed to no object to the religious one unless they speak up.

Well we probably made a mistake letting you Texicans join the Union in the first place.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

The oath was similar when I had to give a deposition a few years ago in New York state.

The use of a bible or an oath to God is not mandatory in any U.S. court, including the swearing in of the President. If it were the ACLU would have a field day.

Reply to
Nova

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote

Au contraire ... it was the other way around. Not too worry, though .. you're going to have to take it back from Mexico real soon now.

Reply to
Swingman

So you wish a religious litmus test for justice? That is pretty sad.

Your right discouraging murder, rape and robbery is a grave burden for society to be inflicted with by a few crazed zealots.....Realistically it is the left that wishes true control , be it mandatory seat belt use, the right to smoke, what you eat and how much, your home, where and what you can build, buy or sell or even the trees in your yard. Then the thought police and the word nazi's, as well as no dissent being allowed (as a politician or on a college campus just try and doubt global warming).

Incidentally whom are these "too many" anyway and what control have they inflicted on whom? Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

I hadn't thought of that......It would indeed increase of the odds of a hung jury by selecting jurists not committed enough to make decisions. One might as well anticipate an easier go among those whom moral compass is based upon "it depends" instead of a right or wrong, of which I'd suspect are often one and same. Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

Of course it makes him of better character. The person who publicly refuses on grounds of their personal beliefs is much more aligned with truth than the one who elects to deceive jurors into thinking he holds similar faith to them.

Sounds to me like you would support a defendant or witness donning a yarmulke once they learn a majority of the jurors are Jewish. Wearing religious symbols or professing faith have zero bearing on the moral compass of the person - just remember the Catholic priest abuses.

A juror who is unable to delineate testimony depending on whether a witness is of similar faith to himself should not be sitting in the box.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

There are many avenues of rebuttal - even on a college campus. Sure you may not get equal stage time, but there are newspapers, radio, local television, and soapboxes. (I recall the stump-speakers at Penn State railing away at something or other.)

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Grow up Fred, no need to get snotty about it. If you are frustrated talk to your wife.

Reply to
Leon

I hope that attitude continues to work out for you.

Reply to
Leon

But on the flip side of the coin the guy that murdered your child could get off just as easily if tried by a non committal jury.

Reply to
Leon

My former barber (30 year Air Force) was fond of saying, "What they lost with the sword, they are taking back with the pecker."

Of course, that seemed to fit in with Orange County, birthplace of the John Birch Society.

Lew

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Leon, of the two of us, you are much more likely to get suckered in this business of life by the guy posing as something he's not than I am by the guy who is forthright about what he believes.

The terrorist who professes his beliefs and in his view labels my son an infidel is much more predictable than the priest who cites God and silently molests my son behind the altar.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Hummm Having been in and retired from Upper management, starting as a stock boy in the automotive business, I have managed and hired hundreds of people at various times and dealt with thousands of customers. I have seen lots of scams and tactics to deceive. I easily rubbed elbows with all of my employees. Perhaps you have delt with more people on a more successful level.

You have missed what ever point there was to the discussion. Way back in the beginning of this thread I made a comment and have been relentlessly questioned about that comment. I answered those questions and for the life of me I cannot understand what the big deal is. I have my opinion y'all have yours.

ABSOLUTELY TRUE.

Just as likely, the terrorist who professes his beliefs and in his view labels you son an infidel MAY NOT be more predictable than the priest who cites God and does not molest your son. You can make any thing up.

There is an evil influence every where and no one or thing is eximpt from its temptation or deception. Being able to recognize that deception makes life less dramatic. It helps to be of good moral character and be able to reference where those morals originated to recognize deception. And no, your parents or their parents or their parents were not the origin of the morals thay you may of may exercise.

Reply to
Leon

I used to laugh--'60s--at the college loan applications that provided a list of Communist organizations and then required the signer to affirm that he/she had never belonged to any of these, nor had any intent to overthrow the government of the U.S. I guess they rooted out thousands of spies that way. Sure they did. I tried to explain to one oath-giver that the undercover "intelligence" types would be the first to sign without a pause, but she couldn't understand that.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Some jerk in Georgia won my 270 million last night.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Wrongo. Courts allow a person to solemnly affirm (NOT swear) he will tell the truth, with no ties to religious belief.

Reply to
Just Curious

I'm an attorney, and so have been in court many times. I have NEVER seen a judge require a witness to put his/her hand on a Bible (except in the movies, but that's not an accurate portrayal of real life).

I personally am a Christian and believe in the Bible. James 5:12 says, "swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation." I believe in that, and so when asked,I will solemnly affirm that I will tell the truth under penalty of perjury. But I will not swear an oath, because the Bible itself condemns it.

Reply to
Just Curious