Wal-Mart and GE are in bed together?

Greetings,

Don't try to price compare something like a window AC based on model number or even manufacturer. Simply look for the cheapest unit of the number of BTU you need. Also figure in electrical usage and go with the one that has the lowest TCO (total cost of ownership). You might also find a used unit for $10 if you only look.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

This practice is ubiquitous among manufacturers and chains, certainly in consumer electronics. I've seen a S*ny tecnician look at a part number and say "that was bought at Se*rs". In some cases there's just one digit or letter difference in the part number.

It's to confuse comparison shoppers (and maybe indie repair shops) and squirrel of out we'll-beat-their-price guarantees.

Chip C Toronto

Reply to
Chip C

I spoke to a friend who is the CEO of a bicycle manufacturer about his dealings with Wal-Mart. He said he's happy to sell to them, but only on condition that his company's name does not appear on the product, because of what he's forced to do in order to meet their pricing policies. Examples: Fewer spokes in the wheels, vinyl instead of leather saddles, plastic where metal should be used, unsmoothed welds, no primer, less paint, etc. You only get what you pay for. A great majority of Wal-Mart merchandise is built to a price point, rather than a quality/feature level.

Reply to
PanHandler

In some cases there could be differences. But I think in many cases, the real differences are slight or non-existant. I saw this when looking for TV's a couple years ago. Costco had models that were by all appearance and spec identical, but had a couple diff letters in the model number. I think in that case, the main reason for doing the diff product number was to avoid pissing off the regular shops that carrry the same Toshiba product.

Reply to
trader4

Because Walmart demands such low prices the manufacturers have to make cheaper versions. If you were able to compare the components you would find features such as a lower quality motor, cheaper bearings, lighter weight moulded parts etc.

Reply to
George

This is a common practice, large purchasers order special models that do not appear in the manufacturer's standard product line, usually they are higher line products with a few features removed to make them appear to be cheaper. This has been going on for the past 40 years that I am aware of.

Reply to
EXT

============== Very Common practice... You see the same thing at Home Depot and Lowes etc with tools...and lawn equiptment... I really do not thing it is to avoid matching competators prices however...I think it is done to lower the price the Big Chains pay for an item so that they "retail" a branded item cheaper then the regular dealers for that Brand...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

So what else is new? And my bet is they are all made in you-know-where.

Reply to
yaofeng

A few months ago, I wanted to compare prices on some air conditioners Wal-Mart sold.

GE 8000 BTU ASW08FC GE 6000 BTU AGW06LC

Could not find those anywhere on the Internet except at Wal-Mart.

Lately I have been looking at carpet cleaners. Specifically the Hoover Agility Deep Cleaner.

Hoover F6205-900

Apparently Wal-Mart is the only store that sells that part number.

Reply to
John Doe

Sometimes each major store chain will have their own part number. Maybe there will be a small differance in the looks of the units. This is so that the stores that match prices and maybe give a 10% differance will not have to do that. They can point out that their modle is not exectally the same as the one you are trying to match.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Reply to
Mike Berger

Reply to
Mike Berger

Reply to
Mike Berger

in any store .Could find the same TV deferent #, but not even close for price.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

It's not unusual for a manufacturer to make special models for a retailer. Sometimes those special models are "house brands"; sometimes a company like GE uses its own brand. Wal-Mart certainly has enough clout with suppliers like GE to get just about any model designation, special packaging or labeling that it might want.

TKM

Reply to
TKM

Yep.

Probably the 'W' in the model number stands for, uh, maybe.....

;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

"White?"

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

Surprisingly, for the Hoover Agility F6205-900: Assembled Country of Origin: USA Components Country of Origin: USA

Thanks to all the replies.

Reply to
John Doe

maybe because they PAY faster than do most of the mom-and-pop Greenpeace-bumpersticker-next-to-my-PETA-bumpersticker bicycle shops?

If you want to build your own bicycle, you're welcome to build it with any amount of gold plating that you want. If you want Walmart to stock bicycles, I guess you're gonna have to accept the product selection that works for THEM.

Reply to
phlegmatico

Not the case with any of the stuff I buy at Costco. Either the number is identical to that sold at other stores, or it is indeed a special number which reflect that because there are two or more units in a package and/or the package includes more accessories or the units have more features than normally included in the units sold elsewhere.

As for Walmart, I have no vested interest and but I wonder about some of the Walmart bashing. Recently I noticed that Walmart and Lowes (about

200 feet away) sold the same low priced BBQ. Both had it for the same price but at Lowes, the tank was extra and at Walmart it was included.

I have no idea what Walmart pays to various manufactures, but I do know that Walmart's prices are often as high or higher than I pay at some other stores.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon