Varnishing tip

Can't comment on the foam brushes specifically; however, The Wooster Brush Company else since I grew up in Wooster.

A bunch of Wayne County farmers who have been in the brush business for over 100+ years who do things the right way, because anything else is unacceptable.

YMMV

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

SNIP of good info...

Well, crap. Now you know at $3, I will have to try it. How could I not? Actually, I am going to Lowe's to get some drawer slides today and I will have to remember to get foam brush. Thanks for the tip and the good instruction. Nothing at all like hearing from someone with practical experience.

To me, the Purdy line is highly overrated. Some speak of those brushes as if they had attained the holy grail when they buy them.

I like a brush with a deeper well, and with more bristle area. For me, they are easier to control not only in the accuracy or running out a straight line, but the fact that I have better luck leaving a nicer finish. I also can't get the Purdy brushes to last well (especially considering what you pay for them) with day in and day out use.

But a $3 foam brush that does a good job... I'm in!

Robert

The Wooster brushes have a plastic handle and ferrel and IIRC come on a card board hanger. These brushes typically have a much smaller foam cell scructure compared to the regular stick, stuck in the foam, brushes.

Reply to
Leon

These brushes have a comfortable white plastic handle and ferrule, they actually look more like a regular paint brush. Also their cell structure is smaller than the typical cheapo foam brush, I suppose this is what allows them to wick more varnish up into in the foam with out slinging every where. It is easy to load it up too much so a minute or two of practice will be very beneficial. Start by dipping only the tapered wedge into the varnish and let it drip back into the can for a moment.

Go here and at the search box on the bottom left side type in FOAM. It will bring up the foam brushes at the top. UPC #'s 0-71497-10203-4,

0-71497-10204-1, 0-71497-10206-5

Leon

Correction, I used a 3" and 2" brush. There are no 4" brushes in this style brush.

Reply to
Leon

> --

.

That it the one. The 2 Walnut night tables with drawers that you have so graciously admired were varnished with this brush, 2 coats.

Reply to
Leon

Question to Leon on this. How does one know if foam brush is good quality? Foam brushes are available everywhere. Have you got a part number for those brushes Leon. Fortunately, Lowe's is now up here in Canada with one

Reply to
Upscale

The last foam brushes I bought were a bundle of sizes from Lee Valley. They did what I wanted for the quickie paint job that I was doing at the time, but I did notice that the foam tended to lose a good deal of its rigidity after about 20 minutes use. I certainly wouldn't have considered trying to clean them for reuse even if it was a varnishing procedure not painting. Not Lee Valley's fault of course since they were sold cheaply as a use and toss item.

Reply to
Upscale