Varnishing brasswork ?

I'm under pressure by H-I-D to dismantle the brass hinges on the toilet seat, clean them up and re-varnish. Can someone please advise me what varnish I should use.

I've warned my good lady that in all likelihood any varnishing won't last for any longer than it has done up till now...... but it has to be done !!!

Thanks

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Laquering is its name.

Reply to
George

There's only one that's going to work - methacrylate polymer in a solvent. Axminster sell it (Rustins AFAIR) as "brass lacquer". Small jars, so not too expensive. Nowt else is going to stick particularly well to brass.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

No. it doesn't last very long.

I have been down this route with guitar escutcheons and knobs.

A clear lacquer of the cellulose variety brushes on easily enough..but its not very tough.

Ditto acrylic.

Possibly the best bet is to use a polyester casting resin and dip the parts in that.

Several times if necessary, and hang up to dry/set in between.

That will encapsulate them in a hard clear shell.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The trouble is that the slightest scratch (even the best lacquer isn't perfect) will allow air contact and therefore tarnishing, which I think looks worse than an all-over patina.

If you try to remove it prepare for a marathon!

Who looks at hinges on the toilet seat anyway?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

For small size articles use clear nail varnish.

Reply to
EricP

Pointless really - even epoxy lacquers wouldn't survive long in the toilet environment. A couple of splashes of bleach and other cleaners...and worse..and there goes the lacquer.

Best bet for a durable yellow metal finish in that environment would be gold plate

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Thanks Stephen - I would really like to persuade my wife of that ! I'll pass on your comments and leave her to pay for gold plated ones if they can be found !!

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Might be worth getting a quote...it's been a while since I had any gold plating done ( couple of sax mouthpieces ), can't remember what it cost me but I was surprised at how cheap it was. I think if you buy them ready-plated you'll get stung.

You can tell her I see lacquered brass every day ( saxes ), and even in that relatively mild environment it doesn't last. I wouldn't waste my own time lacquering my bog-brass.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Rustins do an acrylic-based clear metal lacquer that's about is good as you're going to find for this sort of thing. See

Andy Wade