central heating radiators

Hi

Took delivery of nine radiators today which are being installed next week by a local central heating guy. The problem is 4 of the radiators are chunky at 9.5cms in depth. Is this a usual size? The other radiators are not exactly svelt but its the 4 chunky ones I'm concerned about. Are these likely to be cheap radiators? Is that why they are so big? None of my rooms are particularly big. I'm going to speak to the guy tomorrow but wouldn't mind some opinions first.

MTIA

Jim

Reply to
jimbeglin

I assume your central heating guy has selected the outputs. Read up here...

Jim Alexander

The size of a radiator is determined by the required heat output. I presume the fat ones are double panel rads, with one or two lots of fins between the panels? Assuming your installer knows what he's doing, he'll have chosen appropriately sized radiators. If you want single panel rads (which are slimmer) they'll need to be a lot bigger in height or width. Maybe you're limited for available wall space in some rooms?

If you need a lot of heat, you need a lot of surface area. Price doesn't really come into it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

If the guy is starting from scratch it probably that he is working to a design using lower radiator temperatures to maximise boiler efficiency. hence the need for double panel double convector units which are just as big if they are expensive 'designer' styles as the bog standard units.

Reply to
Ed Sirett