UPS does it again (or fails to do it)

There are a LOT of little machines shops known collectively as "89 day" shops.

The insurance kicks in on the 90th day ... but you won't be there to see it happen.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Like 89 days is still temporary duty, while ninety or more is a deployment. BTDT.

Not to disparage, but how much skill does it take to pitch a package marked "Fragile" onto a porch? It's not experience but attitude. As the man says, when you try to motivate with money, you get people who are motivated only by money. Probationary period is to determine if they have enough pride in themselves to be a credit to your business.

My regular guy on the brown truck of the last six-ten years always has a smile, two dog biscuits and the package ready when he pulls up. In summer he loves a short iced tea before continuing. No sugar.

Reply to
George

It should be. OTOH if the employee knows that management has already decided to boot him on day 59, that _might_ adversly affect his attitude, especially on day 58.

My regular guy has been great too. He once eschewed dropping off a package because it was raining and came back later in the same day. He also was very careful with an overpacked box (antique woodworking tools are heavy) that had split open in shipping.

Reply to
fredfighter

My regular guy (following a conversation regarding same) will leave smaller packages in my storm door and larger ones under my picnic table (with a note to that effect on my front door) no matter what the shipping instructions say. He should be by tomorrow with a t-track section for a bandsaw table rail.

I live in an area where, apparently, they are instructed not to do this due to risk of theft.

But the UPS station is 5 miles away in an even worse neighborhood where I'd rather not go after dark ... and those trucks don't get unloaded again until after dark. I used to work a couple buildings away from the UPS station and I consider the risk of assault and carjacking at the UPS station to be much higher than the risk of theft from my porch.

So, since I work at home and am a fairly frequent recipient, he and I have had a chance to discuss matters and arrive at a working agreement that works for both of us.

But there's nothing he can do for me until the package gets on his truck. Nothing at all.

BTW ... since I don't observe Christmas ... what is an appropriate tip and timing for the UPS guy? He's going out on a (short) limb for me ... I'd like to recognize and reward that.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Well I'm not inclined to tip delivery people especially since I came home early to celebrate Christmas Eve and found my wife in bed with the mailman. After booting him out of the second story window I confronted my wife, who claimed it was *my idea*!

"What the hell are you talking about, I shouted! "I hated that guy even before today, he's the worse mailman we ever had!" "Well", she replied, When I asked you how we should tip him you said 'Screw him--give him a dollar.'"

Reply to
mort

I find your belief system fascinating. It scratches me right where I itch.

Why not kill two birds with one stone? Buy him an aluminum pole (I find tinsel distracting). Teach him about Festivus. The two birds? One: you bought him a gift. Two: we get another convert to Festivus.

Then you can proceed to the airing of grievances...

Reply to
LRod

Not necessarily the roads as approved either.

I once entered several different Beltsville, MD addresses into Mapquest and they all returned the same map location. Evidently there is, or was, a default location for addresses not located, and no warning to the user that the software had failed to find the actual location. That is an absolutely terrible and irresponsible way to write software.

It's like make making an oral thermometer that reads

98.6 when it fails.
Reply to
mort

How can you tell an oral from a rectal ... nevermind.

Nonetheless, might want to get your corrections flowing through channels.

Here's how Uncle sets things up.

George

I have been told that the typical contract between a hospital or doctor and the contractor that handles their billing specifies that the billing agency receives a percentage of what they bill, NOT a percentage of what the service provider receives, not even a percentage of what the patient _should_ have been billed.

IOW, not only is there rampant opportunity, there is also ample motive for fraud, and the doctor or hospital is a victim, along with the patient.

Reply to
fredfighter

My credit score is good enough to take a few hits from stuff like that. (over 800). Not really worried about it, but you're right, that's the downside of that strategy.

Reply to
bf

The taste.

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Why would I put an aluminum pole in his hands and then complain? Timing, I am told, is everything. It seems wisest to complain while -I- am still in possession of the pole. ;-)

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

No, the feats of strength follows. I don't believe the aluminum pole comes into play at any point except as decoration--well, that and as the symbol of Festivus.

Reply to
LRod