somewhat off topic; craig's list responses (may to long and boring for most of you)

Hey All, I started posting some used equipment on Craig's List (and please, this is not an attempt to get you to see the ads- I'm not that clever) and most of the responses I got are from folks that I think are trying to scam me. I am leaving out names in the event that the person is legit but if they are not, you may recognize their syntax errors.)

Hello Do you still have this ad up for sale?I prefer it to others i have seen and i hope it is as described?also do i get a reduction in the price?

(second response after telling him no to a price reduction)

Thanks for your quick reply and its good to know that the item is still available.The Price is relatively okay and I hope you are honest about the present state of the item.A Check would preferably be my form of payment because i am buying the item for someone and i understand the Check must clear before you release the item.Also i would arrange pick up from you by my shipper(my shipper would come pick up).Please reply me with your following details to mail out a Check to you immediately and hopefully it should get to you soonest

Name: Contact Address: Phone Number:

I look forward to hearing back from you as soon as possible.

(third response after telling him I prefer to see the buyer face to face and receive cash)

I understand you but i am only able to pay you through Check because i am sending it to my son

I reposted that saw and another one that I rebuilt - it was less expensive than the first. Here are a few more replies;

(for the cheaper bandsaw)

Am really interested in ITEM If the item is still available I will be paying you with a certified check or money order and I will wait for the check to clear before sending the shipper to come for the pick up. Buying and selling of instruments is what I do for living and all i need to issue the payment is your full name and address to be on the check. Thanks and get back to me as soon as possible because i need to move something of this nature to my new customer before 20th of Nov.Thanks and have a wonderful weekend

(from a different email address but also for the the same saw)

How are you doing? i came across your advert today concerning the item you posted for sale. am really interested and this item is perfectly specification requested by me. i like to know if the item is still available and the details of the present condition and the last price you are willing to sell it to me.looking forward to hear from you ........ thanks stay bless. Regard

OXXX OXXXXXXXX

(This person replied twice with the same message to both of my ads. I called the number and got a garbled recording but left no message)

Hello Just view your advert on craigs web,I am willing to purchase the item asap.I hope its still avaliable for sales?I will like to know your last asking price for it and also the present conditions of it?Please get back to me today via email so that we can proceed further. You can call my friend phone XXX-XXX-XXXX,we stay together cause i am deaf.His name is Barry. Best Regards TXXX PXXX

(After sending a message to TXXX PXXX explaining that the price and condition are what's stated in the original ad I got this)

Sounds Good Thanks for your prompt response to my email,i am okay with your asking price.I will like to proceed with payment today while my shipping co will handle the pick up as i have other goods to be picked.I will informed thier C.E.O to pick the goods altogether, when you must have gotten your cash at hand.I would have loved to make a cash payment or mail a check to your home address today but due to the nature of my business as an aircraft attendant with the fact that i am moving so i have just my echeck account left to opperate. I am in no rush to pick up the item till funds are clear at the bank.As there are too many scams on internet as regards buying and selling with large bogus account.My mode of payment will be via Electronic Check drawn on . (Bank Of America).Electronic Cashier checks is fast and secure.You will probarbly need a business check paper to print and cash or deposit the check today.The business check paper is sold for $20 at any stationery store,sta ples or at your local office supply outlet.I will add the cost of supplies to your asking price with an extra offer for accepting my mode of payment.I will need your name and address with valid email address to send the Echeck to your email which you can print immediately when you must have purchase the supplies at staples or any stationery store.Kindly delete the advert of this item if my mode of payment is accepted.I will await your email asap.Read more about Echeck via

Thanks.

(To add to my amusement/frustration OXXX OXXXXXXX sent this after I told him the same thing)

Im okay with the last asking price of the item and i will love to be the next owner of it so now i want you to get back to me with all this necessary information listed below; NAME TO BE ON THE CHEQUE YOUR STATE YOUR ZIP CODE YOUR ADDRESS YOUR OFFICE AND MOBILE PHONE inorder to make out the payment and as i have made you to know that i will be making this payment via certified cheque ... And i have a shipping agent who will be incharge of the item pick- up,So immediately you receive and cash the cheque you can contact my shipper for pick up. Kindly get back to me right now with the necessary information and pls i want you to consider the item sold right now and if any other interested buyer contact you , You should be telling them that it has You should betelling them that it has been sold to me ...Thanks so much for your understanding and i hope to deal with you in future. Warmest Regards

(And lastly, here's a reply from a guy whom I apologized to for taking a while to get back to him. In the apology I told him I was annoyed with what I thought were people trying to scam me. This guy's first response was typed properly and he "seemed" to be straight up. His second response made me think he's like the others)

Sounds Good. I want to purchase the item today and pay you via Electronic Cashier Check drawn from my Bank of America account it is a real cashiers check after you print it. The check will be sent to you immediately via email all you need to do is purchase a Business check paper at any Office depot or stationary store to print the check on and immediately when you print the check proceed to your Bank to deposit or Cash it,the Business check paper cost $20 only but i will offer you $50 to purchase the Business check paper to print the check.The item will be picked up from you by my Company shipper so you don't have to worry about shipment of the item also I will wait for you to confirm and clear the check before the shipper come to pickup the item from you actually I should have handled this myself but i am not available to do that now i am currently away for my Company seminar that is why i want you to do this and i will pay you $50 to purchase the Business check paper to print the check.This is the fastest and best method of payment because it is instant once you purchase Business check paper all this process of printing and cashing of the E-check can be done within 2 hours. Thanks

This bugs me. Whenever I reply to a CL or Ebay add I often tell the seller who I am and where I reside(generally, not specifically) and ask them what mode of payment they want if it is not spelled out in the ad. Is this the common way to reply in our fast pace society. Am I old fashioned? (Or are these creeps really trying to rip me off?

My apologies for taking up group space with this stuff but maybe some of you have seen this and recognize a few familiar "phrases".

That's my little rant, good night. Marc (Who will be posting his stuff again and maybe I'll sign up for PayPal before I post)

Reply to
marc rosen

Con Artists/Spammers write software to send you e-mail after they notice your ad. If it was a human, they would probably not ask if the item is still for sale after 5 hours.

Or it could be Cheap labor.

Your response can trigger another automatic response.

Standard con artist.

Another con clue.

Yup.

And they want you to print the check yourself? Incredible.

Since any e-mail can be faked, there is no way to send by e-mail anything that cannot be copied and replicated.

If you believe an e-mail can contain a check, and is legit, then you believe you can print your own money.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

IMHO, a scammer looking for an address.

More of the same.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Forgot to mention.

Accept a deal, any deal, then have them FedEx check to your nearest FedEX office, marked, "Hold For Customer Pick Up"

Give them city and state of FedEx office.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

If they can't show up in person and pay in cash money, they don't want your stuff....

Ebay aside of course, even then as the seller you need to protect yourself.

I've bought more than sold on craigslist (just picked up a nice table saw that way) but to me craigslist is a cash only proposition.

Reply to
yugami

You might want to check this web site it tells all about Certified Check Scam

asmurff

Marc, Here's the link you need to review.

're just trying to give you a false cashier's check which can often take a couple weeks to be proven as false, meantime you've already shipped your saw.

My advice - have some fun with them and continue to send them emails requesting more info about them and "how do I print this check" kind of stuff. That's assuming you have the time to waste to bait somebody back.

My 2 cents.

Gary in KC

Reply to
Gary A in KC

"Also i would arrange pick up from you by my shipper(my shipper would come pick up..."

Combined with a cashier's cheque, this is almost a 100% guarantee of a scam. I had someone try to "buy" my car this way. I replied and said that although I didn't doubt their honesty, they could send the cheque to their shipper, and the shipper could pay me cash when they came to pick it up. (FWIW, the car was worth about as much as a used shop tool.)

Never heard back from them. If the're going to arrange a third party to do the pick-up but can't get said third party to pay for the item in person, it's a scam.

Colin

Reply to
Colin B.

I was told recently that banks no longer issue Cashier's Checks, but instead issue "Official Checks"

I could be wrong...

woodstuff

Reply to
woodstuff