twisted hand plane blade

I've got a no-name No7c plane that pretty much a complete rip off of the stanley model. The plane itself is in very good shape and I'd like to use it. The problem is that the blade is no longer flat. Its a bit concave/twisted. I tried to put a replacement blade from Veritas on it, but the new blade was so much thicker than the old one that the depth adustment arm couldn't engage properly. Anybody know of an online source that sells replacement blades that are standard thickness? I tried stanely, but they're online site won't ship outside the US (Canuck here). My local hardware store can get me a blade from stanely, but its going to take months to get it. Its a 2 3/8 blade BTW. I keep any eye on ebay, but frankly I'd just rather order a replacement.

If anyone has and ideas, I'd really appreciate it. Or if anyone has any ideas about how to flatten the old blade, I'm all ears...

cheers Matt

Reply to
Matt

Hocktools has blades that are not so very much thicker (3/32") than the original stanley blades:

they work fine for me in (real stanley) old planes.

leevalley(veritas) has many plane blades:

ones did you try?

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

I tried the Veritas ones. They are slightly thinner than the Hock blades.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

I tried these ones

2 3/8" model

Reply to
Matt

I'm not sure why the veritas won't work. Seems like it should. Did you adjust the frog back? Anyway, Highland hardware has stanley replacement blades. Google Highland Hardware.

HTH

Reply to
jimg

Matt, these are nice and thin at 5/64" thick:

easy to sharpen, and they hold the edge long too. Get the one made for Stanley. You should return your blade to LV, wouldn't cost a $1.25 to send it.

Reply to
AAvK

"OOPS"! Looks like they don't have one for Stanley in that size but I believe it would work anyway to try the one made for Record planes. They used to have them.

Reply to
AAvK

I'll take a look at there stuff, thanks. I've already exchanged the Vertias blade for one of their 2" ones for my No 5. Great blade, very impressed so far...

cheers, Mat

Reply to
Matt

Yup, the frog is far enough back. Hmm, but you do have me wondering if the screws are too big that are in the frog. I'd better check that out. Thanks for getting my brain moving.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

cleaned out. So you all probably didn't see the search result.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root