Siegley plane blade

As I mentioned in a previous post

1) I have acquired an old rusty plane. It is 14" long and has No5 in relief just ahead of the front handle and no other markings. The handles are wood and the sole plate is ridged. Any ideas on age, quality etc.? Is it worth sharpening as a beginner project?

Based on all of your valuable feedback I figured it must be a Stanley No. 5 plane from the 1930's.

As I cleaned it up I noticed that there is in fact an additional marking. The blade has 'Siegley' with 'S s S' beneath on the end. So: Is it a Siegley plane or a Stanley plane with a replacement blade made by Siegley? Does this change the dating estimate? Are Siegley blades higher or lower quality than Stanley blades?

Any help greatly appreciated. Jack Fearnley

Reply to
Jack Fearnley

Jack Fearnley wrote in news:NR5se.5635$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Jack, check the handtools archives at woodcentral.com. The info is in there somewhere.

If my foggy memory serves me at all, Siegley was a company, foundry or plant acquired by/suplier to/merged with The Stanley Works, back in the day.

Sounds like you have a pre-WW2 Stanley 5C, and that it is worth some modest TLC as a user.

Kerosene, an old toothbrush and some paste wax. Sharpen the blade and make some curlies!

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch