Track saw or spindle sander

Let's say hypothetically you had $400 or so in Home Depot gift cards. Would you buy a Dewalt track saw or a Delta spindle sander?

Thanks.

Reply to
Michael

This time of year I'd buy plants and gardening supplies.

Reply to
Just Wondering

ld you buy a Dewalt track saw or a Delta spindle sander?

I suspect YOUR answer is dependent on what you do. If you are a shop woodw orker making furniture, then the spindle sander probably, maybe, has more u se since it would be needed for smoothing all curves, edges. Whereas, if y ou are a carpenter going from job to job, then the track saw might be more useful since you are frequently cutting plywood and maybe putting straight edges on lumber. And cutting off doors and/or siding. Not that you can't use a track saw in the shop to cut up plywood and straight line rip lumber too.

I already own a track saw, so I'd be more interested in the spindle sander for me personally. But that is me, not you.

Reply to
russellseaton1

An understandable approach. However, for me, if there's an opportunity to buy a tool, I buy a tool.

Reply to
Michael

I have both, The spindle sander is probably the least used of my sanders. Until you learn to use it it is easy to dig a little to deep into a concave shape. The track saw will put a straight edge on s2s lumber. If that interests you.

Reply to
Leon

Actually a disk sander is best for convex curves. Spindle sanders are better for convex curves.

Whereas, if you are a carpenter going from job to job, then the track saw might be more useful since you are frequently cutting plywood and maybe putting straight edges on lumber. And cutting off doors and/or siding. Not that you can't use a track saw in the shop to cut up plywood and straight line rip lumber too.

Reply to
Leon

Whichever one I happened to need at the time, I guess.

If I didn't need either, I'd probably save it for a future rainy day.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Would you buy a Dewalt track saw or a Delta spindle sander?

oodworker making furniture, then the spindle sander probably, maybe, has mo re use since it would be needed for smoothing all curves, edges.

Guessing you mean CONCAVE curves for the spindle sander. I think concave i s the inside of a circle, hole cut into a piece of wood. Whereas convex is the outside of a circle you cut from wood. So an "S" has both concave and convex curves. And you need both sanders for an "S"!!!

Reply to
russellseaton1

. Would you buy a Dewalt track saw or a Delta spindle sander?

woodworker making furniture, then the spindle sander probably, maybe, has more use since it would be needed for smoothing all curves, edges.

is the inside of a circle, hole cut into a piece of wood. Whereas convex is the outside of a circle you cut from wood. So an "S" has both concave a nd convex curves. And you need both sanders for an "S"!!!

I was "taught" to remember that the word concave contains the word "cave" and a cave is something that goes inward.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

How about a new lawn-mower then???

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Yeah, yeah. LOL. Concave. I said convex twice, oops.

Reply to
Leon

Correct.

Reply to
Leon

If he has a Honda mower, he probably does not need one. I just in the past few weeks put new/expensive wheels on my Honda, $120.00 ish. I bought that mower in 1987, paid almost $500 for it and hoped I was not throwing my money away.

Reply to
Leon

I bought my 1959 Yazoo Pro for $15 way back in 1988-ish. The previous owner had just spent $65 having the carb and ignition gone over. I blew up the 3.5HP Briggs engine back in about 2012? and replaced it with a brand new 6.5HP Bolton Power Products CHONDA motor for $85 and I've rebuilt the main spindle twice at a cost of less than $25 each time. I've replaced the rear tires (20 inch BMX) and replaced the sheet metal portion of the deck with stainless steel countertop that I got for nothing. Will likely outlast me at this rate.I likely have about $500 invested including all the gas I've put through it - - - My lot is 1/3 acre.

I still have a 1957 Lawn King 19 inch mower too with the original Lauson engine on it (Magnesium deck) and I have a Toro and a John Deere that I've salvaged curb-side that are both over 25 years old and in excellent operating condition (both alloy decks as well) I've got to clear tose out this spring to make room in my shed - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I've had the same hammer for over 35 years. I've replaced the head twice and the handle 3 times. Love that tool! ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Don't two "vexes" make a "cave"? Oops, I guess I was thinking of three rights making a left! ;)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I'm vexed about all this...but I like caves.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes, sir. He has a Honda mower. The tires are worn, but the motor runs like it's 2006.

Reply to
Michael

I recently got a Makita cordless track saw. To day, I used it to cut down some bi-fold doors for a client who had hardwood flooring installed that raised the level of the floor.

On one hand, I wish I didn't charge by the hour for this one. :-) On the other hand, this thing is going to pay for itself 10-fold in times saved on jobs priced per job.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do.

Reply to
krw