oscillating sander Delta vs Ridgid?

I want to buy a benchtop oscillating spindle sander with the gift certificates I'll be getting for Xmas. I've had my eye on the Delta BOSS but the Ridgid combo spindle/belt sander intrigues me. The oscillating belt would be handy. Any opinions?

Reply to
mel

I got the Ridgid for the same reason, picked up some extra sanding sleeves and belts. Haven't used a sleeve yet but have been thru 3 belts already. Other than for some funky noises coming from it - which they claim is normal, it works fine. I don't have any experience with the Delta BOSS but from what I've read its supposed to be a good machine.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

IMO, the Delta is a better spindle sander. I bought the Ridgid though and I'm glad I did. I use the belt more than the spindles, but both are nice to have. I use it on every project I have done; one of my better investments.

Caveat: This is for a home shop, not a heavy duty commercial product for a production shop.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I just picked up the Rigid yesterday at HD for $159.20. It was $239 down to $199 less the 20% discount which ends today. I was not planning on buying one for a while but for that price I said what the hell.

Rich

Reply to
RKON

I have to be honest... I really like the Ryobi. I use it all the time and LOVE it! It does a great job for me and never feels underpowered, even when using the 3" spindle. This thing is now marked down to $87 from $99 at Home Depot, but now with the sale it'd go for $69 which is a deal and a half...

FWIW.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Never looked at the Rigid I bought the Boss on E-bay 199.00 with all the spindles Can't go wrong its quiet and gets the job done, Many here on the Rec have it and are pleased with it when i asked which one. I was concerned it would be heavy duty enough for my Pro shop. But have been using a little dress press for years for what i need it for that it appeared to be no Problem My second Choice was the Jet benchtop that iis 299 plus anoth 60 for the 3" drum which is the most used. The Ryobi is interesting also More spindles less price. Figure out your usage and let that weigh into your decision

Good Luck, George

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

I have the Jet and love it. I do not have the 3" spindle but intend to get it soon.

Virgil Smith

Reply to
Virgil Smith

I've been looking at this thing also.

I would pick it up during the 20 percent sale except my wife just put a big box under the tree and I don't dare

PS hav>I just picked up the Rigid yesterday at HD for $159.20. It was $239 down to

Reply to
william kossack

Since I already had a fixed belt sander, and do a lot Mission style curved table aprons, SWMBO bought me a lightly used B.O.S.S. last summer for my birthday. It's a good piece of equipment and I wouldn't hesitate to get another one if the need arose. That said, I understand the extra spindles are pretty pricey and don't all come with the original purchase ... might be a caveat.

Reply to
Swingman

Y'know, I haven't felt the lack. Smaller works in larger corves, but not vice-versa.

Sturdy piece of iron, the JET. I did some thicknessing of 1/8 stock with mine, taking advantage of the longer spindle and stroke.

Reply to
George

Western Tool Supply

is selling the Delta SA350K for $184.99. This kit includes the BOSS sander and the optional spindle set.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Jenness

They cost 59.00 for the set but are now packaged with the unit as they should have been from the begining.

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

I have the Jet - Great tool - I sold the Rigid at a yard sale. It was a constant PITA the keep in alighment. I recently picked up the new Jet 12 disc sander. I is a really solid sander.

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

I agree with Ed... Mine's (Ridgid) been in the shop for some time now and has even suffered the indignity of a fall. I use the belt attachment most of the time and am glad to have it.

Good luck Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

PS having a devil of a time trying to figure out what is in the box before I open it

Go to home depot and weigh one of the sanders, and come home and weigh the box under the tree. I'm getting a stocking full of ashes this year. thanks, Tony D.

Reply to
anthony diodati

I also picked up the Ridgid at the HD 20% off sale. I figured they'll be running out of the Emerson (US) made units soon, so it's a good time to buy one. I haven't used it yet, but my brother has one and says it's the most used tool in his shop.

While I was there, I also got the PC 557 plate joiner while the rebate is still on.

Tom

Reply to
Tom M.

Though the Delta is probably the better sander (I haven't used one) I ended up with the Ridgid in my shop at home. (long story deleted) It has worked well, is a well made tool that has been of good service to me. We have a floor model Jet at work, the longer spindles are sometimes nice but the weight and size could not be justified in my home shop. I have used the Ryobi and was NOT impressed. As time was put on it the pulleys wore and it started eating belts at an alarming rate.

Reply to
Jon Dough