Oscillating Sander

Does anyone have any experience with Ridgid's belt/spindle oscillating sander...It is not a Clayton but neither is the price. It looks like a well built machine for the price vs Delta's BOSS..have heard some not so good stories about it. Anyone have any recommendations. Thanks Pat

Reply to
Pat & Maryann Dwan

I like mine. It does what I expect from it. No, it is not what I'd have in a pro shop, but for the money, it is very good. Changeover takes only a few minutes. I use mine frequently and it has been trouble free. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

I love mine. I wish it were larger and had better dust collection, but for the price... Tracking is tolerable, but not great, but for the price...

Reply to
toller

Some pluses:

  • the belt sander is easy to convert and quite handy to use.
  • the table is relatively large
  • miter slot is occasionally useful
  • works well and is reasonably quiet

Some minuses:

- dust collection is marginal but adequate (had expected better)

- no power cord storage

- no variable speed

- tracking on belt sander is finicky

Am I happy with it? Mostly Would I buy it aga> Does anyone have any experience with Ridgid's belt/spindle oscillating

Reply to
DIYGUY

Check out the Craftsman(419 usd) or Palmgren(500 usd) 3 in one sanding center. Has a 12" disk, 6x48 belt and OSS together in one machine with built in dust collection and variable speed. It's got some good reviews the last two months. I bought one last week and it appears to be a well put together unit. I've yet to put it through it's paces. It's a little more costly than the Ridgid but seems much sturdier. They also make a smaller unit for a little less money.

Jo

Reply to
John

I like my Ridgid belt/oss. It's the only Ridgid tool I own, but I liked the design and the option to use the belt. I leave the belt on most of the time, as it still allows me to use the "spindle" end for inside curves. Belt changes are easy. However, I am an occasional weekend-warrior, so mine gets pretty light use. It works great for my purposes, but all the plastice pieces don't give me a great deal of confidence that it would do well in heavy use or a production type setting. Also, my one big gripe with it is that the dust collection just doesn't work, and this is a big negative with a sanding machine, IMHO.

Reply to
brad

I've had one for 3 or so years now and like it a lot. Mine must be the only one in which the dust collection works reasonably well. I plug in the shop vacuum into the receptacle provided and do my thing. I too have the belt in place perhaps 90% of the time. Prior to this I had a Craftsman 6xwhatever-it-was belt with a 9" disk. Sold it when I got the Ridgid because 1)I seldom if ever used it, and 2)I couldn't get the belt to track the whole time I used it. Unless, of course, one defines tracking as rubbing the belt against a bracket on one side or the other. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Ed, looks like you and I share some of the same tools. I agree with Ed's and others' assessment. Did I mention it was another tool I bought at a 40% off yellow tag sale? After building one of those flip top rolling tables, the sander and planer take up very little real estate in my shop.

Reply to
TomL

Hi Does anyone have any experience with PC's portable oscillating spinder sander set up in their router table.. Looking at this vs.Ridgid vs Delta BOSS Can't afford a Clayton. Thanks Pat

Reply to
Pat & Maryann Dwan

Buy the JET benchtop. 6" drum length, 1" stroke length, and solid as a rock.

Reply to
George

I thought about the PC, but the sander plus insert for my table was more than the Ridgid. Plus the Ridgid offered the oscillating belt option. Mine has worked great for me. Sure a Clayton would be better, but my Ridgid has worked fine for my needs.

Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

I've got the Delta BOSS and often wish it had a tilting table. It has a nice size table, inserts for the different size drums to give good support close the the drum and a decent stroke length.

It would also be nice to have a horizontal belt sander option but I've got the Delta 12" disck sander with a tilting table that works ok.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Tom, do you happen to have any pictures of your flip-top stand? I recently purchased the Ridgid sander and like you I would like to mount it to a flip-top stand along with my planer. The dimensions of the two tools are different and I'd be curious to see how you handled that on your cart.

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark Blum