Oscilating Spindle Sander

Anyone have either the Delta or Jet Bench top Oscillating Spindle Sander? Pro, Cons, Etc Are you happy with it ???

Thanks

George

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

I just purchased a Ryobi from HD for $99 and its not bad. I was going to order a Grizzly but when I did a search I found several replies to a someone else asking about a Grizzly and all were negative. I was hesitant to buy the Ryobi because I thought the cheap price meant cheap tool but I am happy for a change. I have never been a fan of Ryobi but its the most bang for the buck, and then some, that I could find. I had no problem spending $400 - $500 on an oscillating spindle sander but I didn't see any advantage to the Delta or Jet even though they were about $100 more than the Ryobi. Just my 2 cents.

Reply to
scottso

Got the JBOS -5, and it impressed me right away with power and silence. It's a lot quieter than the B.O.S.S. I used, has half a horse to keep spinning, and good flat iron to rest the piece on. Probably'll get arrested for it, but the second thing I did on mine was use it with a fence as a thickness sander for some 4" stock.

Would I mislead someone with such a fine name?

Reply to
George

I have the Delta B.O.S.S. very quiet, does an excellent job, big table, well built, haven't been able to fault it yet and I use it frequently for curved aprons for Mission furniture.

I bought mine used (actually SWMBO did, as a B'day present) and it had the base and all the spindles for it. I understand most of the spindles may have to purchased separately for the Delta, which can run into some additional expense almost equaling the machine itself. That would be one thing I would check out before deciding.

Another one to consider is the hand held Porter Cable OSS, which can also be mounted in a router table with a separately purchased plate. Pricey, but may be more versatile and take up less room than the benchtop models.

IIRC, Tom Watson may use one of these ... maybe you can ping him and get his take on his.

Reply to
Swingman

Delta BOSS. *Very* happy with it. Works outstandingly well for sanding inside curves. Very quiet. Dust collection using the factory-supplied dust bag is only so-so (about half the dust winds up in the bag), but when attached to a dust collector, the dust collection is nearly 100%.

Only "con" that comes to mind immediately is difficulty in finding a local source for sanding sleeves.

I've had the tool for about four months now, and definitely would buy it again.

What are you looking to do with a spindle sander, George?

Doug Miller

Thanks George, And yes it is A fine name indeed. I am named after our first president the only differance is I never tell A lie

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Noisy? ... not IME ... you can hardly hear the BOSS run. It will be one of the quietest tools in the shop. I've been around a couple besides mine and they were the same.

Reply to
Swingman

I would be using it for inside curves, templates, jigs, occasional single piece that needs cleaning, Used to have an old Boice Crane floor model, got to expensive to repair and have been using the drill press with drums etc.

I'm leaning to the Boss, because of the price, but the weight and power of the jet keeps pulling at my old habits of buying one better than I really need.

Right now the Boss is being sold on Amazon for 199.00 with all the spindles, no tax, no freight I'm sure if I am not happy with I would have no trouble selling it for half the price and then go for the jet. I think it will be okay. The Jet cost 300.00 with another 70.00 for the 3" spindle and plate

Amazon has all the paper sleeves one would want if that is to much of a hassle and you are in or around a Metropolitan area of any size find a Delta service store they generally have all the accessories for all of the Delta Products Smoeone said it was noisy, I understand that there is an adjustment to tweak that cures that, ???? don't know for sure George

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Good !!! the last thing I need is a woodworking machine that makes noise

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Almost forgot, table tilts, and as it's square, you can attach fences easily referenced to the tilt. I've done a pivot-type fence and sanded bevels on mine with good success.

I'm named after some obscure Cossack ataman - both names.

Reply to
George

Have the B.O.S.S. It works great. I only wish I had got one that had a taller spindle for thicker stock.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

I have the Porter-Cable hand held model: "Portable Ocsillating Spindle Sander Model 121" It's great. I bought it to go around the edge of a work bench I built before putting trim around it. It did a great job

-- but have a vacuum right there sucking up the dust 'cause there'll be lot's of it!

I plan to make a table for it, too. Then I can have a stationary version, too.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

I'll second that. Even my heat gun makes more noise than the BOSS. The only power tool I can think of in my shop that might make less noise is the Tormek.

Doug Miller

Reply to
""Nobody"