Tools and accessories to buy from HF

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 16:34:53 -0700, woodchucker wrote (in article ):

I bought the $49 (sale price) unit from Northern. Thin, flimsy plastic body but it's nice and light weight (and ooh so comfy and secure head band). Tint control covers a wide range and it has an adjustable return-to-clear timer so the afterglow won't zorch you. After years of using the heavy, narrow slit standard helmet, I'll never go back.

Nothing is more frustrating than trying to mig weld some steel. I can't count how many times I've placed the torch, dropped the helmet down, made a nice clean bead, only to then lift the helmet and see that I missed the seam by

1/4".

Looking at the various auto-dark helmets in the sub $100 range, they all seem to use the same lens/electronics. What varies is the thickness of the plastic. If you are not going to be pelted by falling bricks while welding, the cheap sets are ideal.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

I have one of those. What's the problem?

Reply to
Leon

+1
Reply to
woodchucker

They offer a 100% satisfaction guaranty. That's very subjective and leaves a lot of room for interpretation. I have returned my fare share of things to HF. Some where simply crap and no one would ever question it. Others fell somewhere under that 100% satisfaction cap.

I have a conscience and my integrity is worth more than many people's, which I bet is the same for most in this group. There have been times when I've had to wrestle a bit with returning something that I used and it accomplished the job, but for which I wasn't 100% satisfied. One parameter I use when deciding, is will I likely buy this tool again, somewhere, to use again. Meaning, was this really just a "free rental plan" for me or was this I tool I actually intend to keep and use? Even if not in the near future.

One such instance was with their bridge tile saw. I bought it and used it for our bathroom(s) remodel. It workd and did the job, but I wasn't

100% satisfied with it, by any stretch. Its miter fence is plastic and very difficult to adjust. Its table leaks water too easily and should have a better gutter system. According to their rules, not mine, it would've been completely and ethically fine for me to return that saw. But not according to my rules and my conscience.

In those cases and in cases where I know I'm using a tool for a specific job that I'm likely not wanting to keep, I will buy the tool, use it for the job, and sell the thing on craigslist.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Thanks, I just happen to have to pass in the area of a HF today so I will pick one up. That one seems to be the one with the best reviews and at that price I don't have much to loose.

Reply to
Mike M