Tools and accessories to buy from HF

I've bought a few rubber tires from HF and it generally takes about two years out in the elements for the smell of that tire cat shit to subside.

Definitely don't want to keep them in the same space you live/operate.

Reply to
Swingman

That has been my experience (dead batteries).

Reply to
Bill

As long as you don't believe their description. There are no roughing gouges shown in the photo - if it is correct what they are calling roughing gouges are a couple of shallow spindle gouges.

That said, I've recommended the set to several beginning turners with the caveat that it's not for bowl turning.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Were they flat? I got those and returned them because the chippers were off in diameter by at least a 32nd.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I have a friend of mine that does light manufacturing and some metal finishing that has that HF stand up sand blasting cabinet. He likes it a lot, but found he didn't have anywhere near the compressor he needed to run it. He wound up buying a monster, then screams bloody murder at the price of the different blast mediums.

Likes the cabinet, though. ;^)

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:45:39 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I've always wondered about sandblasting, the cost of it and the effort required.

Is special sand required? Cost of that sand? Can sand be reused at all? How much sand is used to strip a few square feet? Is there gallons of it to clean up afterwards?

For all the stripping abilities that sandblasting affords, is it something the average home shop person might want to use or afford?

Reply to
Dave

If you look at the picture, the two gouges at the top of the picture are ro ughing gouges. They are about 3/4" or so wide. They are made, designed, s haped like roughing gouges sold by the name brand chisel makers. Rolled fl at steel, not forged cylinder. Spindle gouges are forged from a cylinder o f steel. One 1/4" or so spindle gouge is in the set. I guess I think of s pindle gouges as 1/2", 3/8", and 1/4". Cylinders, not rolled flat steel. Spindle gouges can be used to make curves and beads of the same size as the steel cylinder. A roughing gouge made from rolled flat steel can only be used to make wide shallow cuts and make something round. You cannot make b eads with roughing gouges.

This is Penn State Industries 3/4" roughing gouge. Identical to the two so ld in the Harbor Freight set. Of course 3/4" is not a very good size for a roughing gouge. 1.5" or so is much better. But...

russellseaton1

------------------------------------ yes

--------------------------------

--------------------------------- can be pricey

---------------------------------

--------------------------------- it can be reclaimed

-----------------------------------

------------------------------------- depends on how much you are trying to clean, how thick is the coating being removed.

--------------------------------------------- if you used gallons, then yes.

----------------------------------------------- you need a big compressor.

i had a 5hp, 2 stage compressor with an 80 gal tank.

it wasn't enough.

lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Those are *not* roughing gouges, no matter what HF and PS call them. If you go to:

you will see drawings of all different types of gouges. Note that the profile we're talking about is defined as spindle gouges. The profile shown for a roughing gouge is almost a complete half circle.

Or look at this site:

Larry Blanchard

Oh boy, OP. You really started something-----

Sorry, but MY secret of which stuff TO buy from HF is so good that I don't want anyone to know about it. If it got around, HF would probably have change things.

I will say, however, that they are excellent on return policies. Ya know, the people who work at the stores are not necessarily Chinese. They are American human beings and their management seems to want to please the customer!!! Imagine that!

Pete Stanaitis

---------------

Reply to
Pete S

I was going to buy a small kit for the truck. 130 piece or something. I got to HF and took one look at it. The packaging said Pittsburgh, but none of the absolutely reeking potmetal crap in it did. I pointed it out to the clerk and she said she didn't know/couldn't do anything about it. That's the only Pittsburgh item I've ever turned down buying on quality issues. No wonder it was on sale for $3.99...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Was that their 3/4" drive set? LOL!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

You know, they razed the old HF that we had for years here. The moved to a better part of town, and into a brand new building. It is spotlessly clean inside and the shelves are always stocked and in order. I thought I was on a Candid Camera set the first time I went in.

Then they started this new line of marketing called "customer service" where they try to make their customers happy and provide great service. They will rain check anything in sale and even call when it comes in. Their warranty policy isn't like I am used to where >> I

Reply to
nailshooter41

Don't know. Their sales flyer omits that detail, but I'll find out later today.

If it IS auto-darkening, I guess I can return my HF helmet...

Reply to
HeyBub

I don't know...the couple I've tried are too dark at even lightest setting for arc welding to be able to see anything while welding other than just a glow...both of these are similar to the HF (one from Northern, don't recall where the other actually came from). It's nice to see where to strike but after that it's sailing almost blind so it's definitely not a full win...

I've not tried w/ a major since do so little welding but I don't believe these cheapies are the complete answer. Maybe for inert gas they will work better, I don't know, don't have a setup for it to try.

Reply to
dpb

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:24:18 -0700, Mike Marlow wrote (in article ):

I bought the small benchtop unit many moons ago when it was < $100. It worked well for my purposes (cleaning small car parts, brackets, etc.)

Of course the gloves disintegrated.

It requires a big compressor to keep going (> 5HP). The plastic window gets trashed instantly if the sand spray ever gets too close. Basically its a box with a light bulb that holds one of those cheap blasting guns with the steel tips. If you are going to be doing blasting regularly, buy a 'real' unit, otherwise just get the cheap gun and do it outside.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 10:39:29 -0700, MIKE- wrote (in article ):

Mine were fine for the garage shelves I was/am building and other 'non-furniture' use. Claims on this news group are that quality varies. My Freud super-dado set produces a nice clean cut, the HF set? great for utility use but quality comes at a cost.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

When I brought back my multi-tool because the blade kept coming loose, they actually refunded my money - that's what'll do them in.

I'm reminded of the sporting goods retailer who told me, several decades ago, about all the people who bought a tent before a holiday and brought it back with some excuse shortly after the holiday. I just shook my head in disbelief.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

In my other life as a photographer, chickie-poos were apt to buy a gown for their prom then return it. Seems to me that retailers and customers are a two way street and they should both play fair.

Reply to
dadiOH

"SHOULD" is the key word. Unfortunately, in this "ME" society, should becomes "Screw you".

Reply to
Meanie