time to work

It's 8:00 Saturday morning. I've had my coffee. I've read the news. I've read the wreck. My tools are calling my name. My wife and daughters are still in bed. sighhhh. I need a rooster.

It's 8:10. I've comprised my cut list. My hands shake cause I've just finished the whole pot of coffee by myself. Wait!! The neighbors dog is barking...maybe...just maybe...

It's 8:15 The dog woke up my 9 year old. It takes more than that to stir my 13 yo and my wife. Dammit... 9 yo went back to bed.

Reply to
mel

I am sure the pleasant whrrrr of a table saw wood bring them to life.... and end yours. :-)

BRuce

mel wrote:

Reply to
BRuce

Reply to
jo4hn

Such is the life of a hubby & dad. Bless you for waiting. Heaven knows they need there beauty sleep :-) Ya know...handsaws make a lot less noise. Have fun! Joe

Reply to
kb8qlr

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:18:44 GMT, "mel" brought forth from the murky depths:

Go out to the shop, "accidentally" leaving the door open and "accidentally" droping something, like a turkey roasting pan or galv. garbage can lid. Just being noisy in the shop can wake up the whole house.

Better yet, learn how to use nice, quiet -Neandertools-, mel.

===================================================================== -=Everything in Moderation,=- NoteSHADES(tm) glare guards -=including moderation.=-

Larry Jaques

I open the drapes in the living room and feign innocence when the dog barks at the deer scavenging in the orchard.

They deliver the Times too? Thought they only did the SF Chronicle....

Reply to
George

You gotta learn to relax. Listen to some music... say John Philip Sousa's "Stars and Stripes Forever" played an full volume ought to help.

Nova

"Accidentally" setting off a smoke alarm would work well...

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Right idea, wrong implementation.

Saturday's are for *relaxing*.

Time to just sit back and listen to some *good* music.

something like:

Wagner, "Ride of the Valkyeries" Bach, "Toccata and Fugue in D-flat Minor" Tchaikovsky, "1812 Overture" (with cannons)

Or, to _really_ panic the wimmenfolk, there's the Mendelssohn "Wedding March", from Tannheiser.

For the less sophisticated, The theme from "Jaws", the movie, "Tubular Bells",

and there's always 'sound effects' records.

Reply to
admin

BVW 565 or 538? The only really good copy of 565 I have is an old, scratchy vinyl by E. Power Biggs. In all the CD copies I have, *nobody* just plays it straight.

-- Mark, J.S. Bach organ music nut

Reply to
Mark Jerde

waking them up isn't the problem... it's the fall out of waking them up that scares me. SWMBO becomes SWMBFeared.

Reply to
mel

that is the second time this week that that has come up. I didn't think anyone remembered Mike Oldfield

Bruce

snipped-for-privacy@horatio.agresource.com wrote:

Reply to
BRuce

I like the Biggs rendition, too. It takes one h*ll of a sub-woofer system, though, to 'adequately' reproduce all the ranks used on the larger instruments.

P.S.: Q: Why did J.S. have 17 (fact!) children? A: His organ had no stops!

Reply to
admin

I have an *absolutely*amazing* storehouse of "useless information" in the organic filing system.

People are especially amazed at the ability to recall such stuff, given my talent for _failing_ to remember to do the *routine* sh*t.

Reply to
admin

I'm not sure which is which by BWV number on that one, but the one I'm thinking of is the one everybody always thinks of when they think "pipe organ." Unless they don't know what a pipe organ is.

Anyway, I have a Sony CD of E. Power Biggs playing that and others. I'd guess it's a remaster of your old album. I've never bothered to learn what any of the pieces are called for some reason, but I've about worn out the CD.

This and a bunch of others. I love organ music period, not just Bach, though Bach, generally, is my favorite composer by far.

If I ever trip and fall into a well filled with $100 bills, I'm going to build a huge building with a huge organ. I'll let any aspiring organists play it for free, and encourage any and all to come. I probably won't be able to do it justice by myself, because I suck with keyboard instruments. Of course I would get one of the new MIDI ones to try to get around that somewhat. I could play my compositions on a real organ without any dexterity at all, and it's not even really cheating, since organs are basically "digital" instruments anyway.

Er. I digressed. I was going to say that the performance on this CD is the only one of several recordings of that piece I have which doesn't make my teeth hurt. E. Power Biggs wins for interpretation, but other versions do get a few points for a better sounding organ and a cleaner recording.

Reply to
Silvan

BWV 565 is the one "everybody" knows. 538 is the "Dorian."

I think he did several. My vinyl isn't accessable right now, but IIRC the one I really like is recorded at the Tomaskirche (sp?).

Why build if you could buy? (I know, I know. ) With the loss of jobs etc in the rust belt I'll bet there's a church or two standing empty. Several years ago I was in Buffalo NY for a few days on business. At that time about 50% of the downtown appeared to be vacant. I could live in that area -- large enough to have a pro football team, small enough it's possible to find a parking place at the airport, and non-boring weather. I've lived

5 years in El Paso TX and spent a lot of time in southern California. Constantly good weather makes a place nice to visit, but I don't want to live there. I like the change of seasons and regular reminders from mother nature about how much we humans are really in charge.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Most organists seem to have a real problem with Bach's "The Phantom of the Opera" piece. I think they're really bothered by the fact it was written by a very young person, it's easy to play (probably the easiest of the * and Fugues), but it's incredibly powerful. They look at their own compositional abilities and realize that if they live to be 275 years old they still won't be able to do what J.S. did as a teen. So they don't play it. (I went to weekly lunchtime organ recitals for several years and never ONCE heard that piece played.) Or if they do play it, many of them mess it up on purpose by adding all kinds of unwritten embellishments, time changes, and registration changes. I have one CD where the guy does a good job with the Fantasie & Fugue in G Minor, which is only about, oh, 10 times harder to play than "Phantom", (*) but when he plays "Phantom," it should be subtitled, "How J.S. would have played it he were drunk, people were paying him to add random embellishments, and three unruly children were randomly pulling out and pushing in stops." Hideous! Like ketchup on corn flakes. Or boogers in a moustache. Or chewing on tin foil. Yuck!

Virgil Fox intreprets it well on a CD of his I have.

The original Rollerball soundtrack was a nice, nasty-acid sounding organ, but unfortunately they only played the Toccata.

-- Mark

(*) In the big pedal part of Phantom there's nothing going on with the hands. In the fugue of F&F in G Minor, the pedal does much harder stuff while the hands are still weaving 3 separate parts.

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Right up the street from me, Wesleyan University is finishing up a year-long pipe organ installation on campus. I can't wait to hear it, the school says it'll be ready for holiday concerts.

A few years back, Yale hosted a week-long, World Championship of Pipe Organ competition. I was lucky enough to spend several days of vacation time enjoying the music. The playing was fantastic, and Woolsey Hall's instrument sounds beautiful. It was sad to see it end!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I'd probably recognize that one too, but 565 is the one I'm thinking of.

I have no idea where my CD is for that matter. I copied almost every CD I own to my hard drive, and I listen from there. It's just more convenient that way. I'm not sure where the originals are. In a dusty corner somewhere I'm sure. This room is a wreck.

(Really. I got a new filing cabinet, and took all the crap out of the old one, and it has been sitting on the floor for months now. I haven't gotten around to putting anything into the new cabinet yet. No day has been rainy enough to motivate me I guess. :)

There's nothing around here, that's why. If I get filthy stinking rich and build an organ house, it's going to be within walking distance of home. (I'd just pay off the house I already "own," and maybe sink some money into fixing it up right.)

I live for spring. The rest of the time I just remind myself that spring will come again eventually.

I don't mind weather, but I'm a truck driver, so I prefer it when the weather isn't slippery.

Last year was downright ugly. I was in Charlotte, NC when they got about a foot of snow. Fuster cluck city.

Reply to
Silvan

"Silvan" wrote

I was in Charlotte, NC when they got about a

Chuckle!

You have to understand that situation. They get so little snow, and what they do get is almost always gone on it's own, in 2 or 3 hours. They do have some snow removal equipment, but not much. Small stockpiles of salt. Also, the snow there is different. I came from northern Ohio, and used to laugh at the southern drivers, until I got stopped on less than a 1% grade, and almost couldn't get going again. It turns to ice beneath the wheels.

Plus the road construction mess. All those damn northerners moving down here overload the roads. They can't build them fast enough!

Know the difference between a Yankee, and a damn Yankee? The Yankees come south to visit. The damn Yankees come and never leave!

Reply to
Morgans