Joint question - Using turned legs

I'm planning a sofa/hall type table using turned legs. It will have a lower shelf. The legs I will be buying have a squared section in the profile for the lower shelf to attach to.

How do I attach the shelf to the leg? Do I notch a section out of the leg for the shelf? Do I notch a section out of the shelf for the leg? And would I use dowels in either case.

If anybody knows where I can get of a sofa table plan with turned legs, please let me know.

Thanks

Reply to
Brooklin

Well, there are no real hard and fast rules. Which way do you prefer? Either would work well. If you are cutting chunks out of the leg, a strong glue would probably suffice. Dowels/Biscuits (or other fasteners of choice) could be used for the other method since you are not providing a 'base' for the shelf to sit upon/within etc.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Infinity Router Bits

- Incra Wonder Fence

- Veritas Jointer Blade Sharpener