Timberwolf Blades. Is any one else having problems with them?

Last week I received my Rikon 18" band saw equipped with a 5/8" blade. Who knows what brand. Any way I got the saw up and running and was not disappointed in the performance of the blade contrary to what some here have witnessed with their blades. Not great but it had no drift and cut relatively cleanly.

Yesterday I put my new 1" wide Timber wolf blade on the saw and it cut OK, certainly not any smoother than the OEM blade but tracked straight also. But there is this clicking noise as the back of the blade whacks the rear bearing. Click, click, click... So I go around to the side and notice that the blade moves forward and backward a good 1/16 inch with each revolution of the blade. I know it is with each revolution because I see the weld spot with each click. I used a white pencil to mark the high spot while the saw was running.

I called Timberwolf and talked to Tom and he indicated that he has heard of

2 other instances of this happening with a Rikon band saw. In particular the new model. Not to slam Rikon he asked me to take the Timberwolf blade and cut it open at the weld and check to see if the back of the band is straight. He indicated that a tape measure should be straight enough to help indicate a bow in the back of the blade. My son noticed that the blade bowed about 2' down from the weld. a 2' steel rule confirmed the bow to be about 1/16", 2' up from the weld. I relayed this to Tom. I noticed that the weld, before cutting the lower part of the band was off set about 1/16". So I put the 3/4" Timberwolf blade on. Same problem. Wobble from front to back. I installed the 1/2" blade. Same problem but not as bad. Installed the 1/4" blade, same problem about as bad as the 1/2" blade. I reinstalled the OEM blade and it tracks nice and straight by comparison.

I called Tom back and he is skeptical that there could be 4 bad blades in 4 different sizes and I totally agreed. He is going to do some checking in the morning and send me out a new 1" blade.

I called Rikon and mentioned the problem. Rod at Rikon asked if the original blade tracked OK, I said Yes. Then asked if the new blade tracked OK. I said No. Then he asked of the new blade was a Timberwolf. Yes, I said. He indicated that Timberwolf makes their blades a little long and that they needed to initially be tensioned tighter than the indicator points out before proceeding to the flutter test. Sooooo. I go out and adjust the tension on the 3/4" blade to the tension that a 1-1/4 blade would take trying to get the wobble out. Damn tight basically. That did not help at all. So I put the OEM blade back on and again it tracks fine. Once again I put the 3/4" Timber wolf blade on and it continues to wobble front to back. So this time I take the white pencil and turn the saw on and gently let the pencil mark the back of the blade and turn the saw off. In the exact spot that my son saw the high spot on the 1" blade I see the pencil mark on the

3/4" blade. 2' up from the weld. I'm betting that the other 2 blades have a high spot 2' up from the weld. BTY, I measured the length of the 1" blade that I cut open. It was 141-15/16" long. It was short the width of the blade I used to cut the blade open. It appears that this blade is exactly the stated length, 142".

I was beginning to suspect the Rikon saw and Rod at Rikon indicated that he would walk me through changing the camber of the wheels to fix the problem if the extra tension did not work out. I am thinking that the Timberwolf blades are the problem as 2 of them have the high spots 2' up from the welds. I am guessing that their jig may be out of calibration and badly.

Tomorrow I plan to buy another blade, different brand, and see what happens.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Leon

I've been having good luck with Lenox blades ... FWIW.

Reply to
Swingman

Buying Locally? I need 142".

Reply to
Leon

I had the exact same problem with two Timberwolf blades I purchased last year. No more Timberwolf blades will be installed on my Jet 18, they just ain't worth the hassle. I've been using Woodcraft's house brand since and have not had any problems, they cut fine and are half the price. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

All I can get locally, is a selection of Starrett band saw blades. I bought a 1/4" one and it's fine by me...I have NO idea how Starrett stacks up. It could even be a 'badge engineering' thing...branding for sale.

Reply to
Robatoy

For some reason woodcraft marks the timberwolf blades up by about

100%. Perhaps it has something to do with having a house brand.

Watching this with interest as I'm about to order my first "real" band saw.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Same thing happened to me, no more Timberwolf blades for me!

Reply to
WD

Unfortunately no, the old fashioned way ... on the phone. I wish Iturra would hurry up and get that website up and running.

Reply to
Swingman

I've always used Delta brand bandsaw blades available in local stores and have not had any problems with them. I was tempted to try another brand, ie Timberwolf, when I decided to do some major resawing. Some years back there were several positive posts here about Timberwolf.

Another thought... "Name brand" products that have proven quality often change the product to increase profit (at the expense of quality). Unfortunately, that is so common today compared to 30-40 years ago.

Reply to
Phisherman

I have the older Rikon 18" and had the same problem with a 1" blade. The blade was longer then all the blades I have also. The clicking sound was there also. I tried to file the weld joint to see if that helped and it didn't. No more timber wolf blades for me either. All the other blades I have work great.

"Le>Last week I received my Rikon 18" band saw equipped with a 5/8" blade. Who

Reply to
Keith

I see Woodcraft stocks a house brand in the length that I need. I think I am going to pick one up and see how it does. If I get straight tracking I am going to rule out the BS. and I'll call Inturra and order some. I Googled the group and found that there are several complaints about Timberwolf since last summer. I had to go back to 2003 to get good responses. Since the 142" appears to be unique to the Rikon I suspect a large batch was made up and they were not welded properly or aligned correctly or perhaps they weld them up as ordered and all of mine were made at the same time which would explain a lot.

Reply to
Leon

I agree. Or the welder had an off day.

Reply to
Leon

I've only one Timberwolf blade, which I bought a month or so ago (105"

6tpi 3/8") for my Grizzly G0555 bandsaw, and it works very well for me. It tracks true, without any drift.

-jav

Reply to
Javier

Like every thing, mistakes can be made. I suspect that the 105" is a common size that may have been in stock for some time. I have read a lot of complaints about Timberwold blades bought in the last 6 months and the rep did admit that they were having trouble with some of the 1" blades. His first suggestion was to cut my blade open to see if the back was straight. It was pretty straight but had a high spot in a similar location to the high spot on my 3/4" blade. With my Rikon being relative new and using a unique length my Timberwolf blades may have been made for my order and all made incorrectly. I think I just got a bad batch. But I need to try another brand to rule out the Band Saw although another brand blade does fine.

Reply to
Leon

I don't know if this is any help, but I have the Rikon 18" bandsaw (although it might be the "older" one. At the time of purchase [November 2005] I was told that Rikon was coming out with a new one soon).

I use a 1/2 Timberwolf and it tracks great and I don't get a clicking sound.

But I will fire it up again tonight without the dust collector on to make sure. I have certainly never noticed a clicking, bad tracking or any other defect.

And, the tension I put on it is very low.. definitely below the 1/2" mark on the tensioning gauge. I want so say that it's tensioned around the 1/4 mark, but I'm not sure.

Reply to
bf

I have timberwolf blades, haven's noted significant tracking problems and love the way they actually cut and they seem to last. Have had delta, olson blades which were just awful. MBR

Reply to
gadgetman

I have been using the Lennox baldes also, and have been very happy with them. There is a guy here who welds them up for small guys like me, and for the lumber mills. There was another post here recently about the Timberwolf blades breaking. I asked him about them. He said that they are more popular back east (I am in Oregon), and that they did have a bit of a reputation for quality control problems. I have never used one, and don't plan to. robo hippy

Reply to
robo hippy

You're right ... 105" is the common length for Delta, Jet and Sears 14" bandsaws with riser installed ... and maybe Grizzly?

Reply to
Swingman

It would appear to be the case. The G0555 with the riser installed uses

105" blades.

-jav

Reply to
Javier

I learned today that Circle Saw makes BS blades. I ordered one this morning and will pick it up after 3. 142" x 3/4" 3tpi, $18.99.

I do not know if it is any good but maybe it will indicate where my tracking problem is.

Reply to
Leon