This would be a gloat if I got longer pieces

A contractor just finished constructing a trellis from 2x12 Ipe at a new building next to mine on my campus. The foreman gave me all of his scraps, some of which are 3 to 4 foot long. I got several hundred pounds of boards and am still coveting the two extra intact boards (8 and 10 feet long) that are at the site. Now I know that there are limitations to the projects I can make from these small pieces but it was an easy decision to take this stuff home especially when the foreman told me it was heading for the dumpster. I've scanned several archives (in ths group) about Ipe but I have not seen any comments about making boxes (routed dovetail joints, for example) with it. Has anybody used Ipe for small table top projects? Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

I have a handfull of scraps from helping a colleague build his Ipe deck.

So far I have made a cross type stand for a paper towel holder and wall mountings for small speakers. These speakers needed a 1/4in flange through which to mount the speaker. I thought the strength of Ipe would be ideal. These have been in place for two years or more. A bit of oil and they look great.

This is not easy to work. Sanding is required and generates a lot of dust. Do not try to nail or screw without drilling.

I wish I had more pieces. Sounds like a gloat to me.

Dave Paine.

Reply to
Tyke

I've used it for trim on maple or doug fir pieces. Makes quite a contrast. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Ipe is a great outdoor wood and summer will be here soon. How about some small tables for the deck or patio? You can see a couple that I've made on my web page. They are about 16" square. The 4' can make a small bench. Planter stands?

Small table to go next to the grill? Everyone in the neighborhood would probably like to have something like that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski