Thrifty Cabinets Plans

Hello everyone! I have created a series of easy-to-build cabinet and furniture plans called Thrifty Cabinets. There's a sample plan available for every plan, so you can see what you get before you buy the plan. Please take a look:

brucekieffer

Check your website. I could not find any links to sample plans. Also, the plans show "out of stock".

Bob

Reply to
crystallakehelp

The sample plans are there for some items, but they appear to be zip files.

Forgive me I choose not to open them.

Spammer (or worse) be gone!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I downloaded and looked at one and it was fine. Funniest part is that the zip file was something like 3.7mb and the extracted file was 3.8mb. Stupid. Sounds like someone who started with dial-up and is stuck in his ways. :-)

Either way, I don't see anyone paying for these plans. There's nothing special about them and the same info is all over the web for free. Seems to me like a retired guy doing this as a hobby. Nobel enough venture, but decades behind in terms of marketability.

The best part is the user agreement that forbids you from selling anything you make using his plans, without getting written permission first.

I don't see anyone selling any of the stuff and making any money unless they hire kids in Taiwan to do it. All the designs look like RTA assemblies straight out of IKEA or Wayfair.

Reply to
-MIKE-

The sample plan links are within each plan listing. They are zip files because that is the only way I can get them to be downloadable using the web software I have.

Reply to
brucekieffer

Bob,

Given the world we live in today, I understand your fear about downloading a zip file. But seriously, you look at my site and you think I'm spamming you. I will be happy to email you a non-zip file if you want to see a sample.

Reply to
brucekieffer

Mike,

My plans are intended for beginning woodworkers and I think you agree with that. As for the rest of your comments, they are unnecessary. I have sold many of my plans to woodworkers who are very happy with the instructions.

I would hope this is a respectable forum for woodworkers seeking info and help. So far the comments I have received tell me otherwise.

Reply to
brucekieffer

My first paragraph was a little snarky, I admit. As for the rest, it's an honest and accurate assessment. You can either be offended by it or use it as market research.

Reply to
-MIKE-

No, they are not. There are a number of plans that do not have a sample. It appears that if you are out of stock, there is not sample. I assume that that is what "Crystal" was referring to.

Speaking of "out of stock" items...

The title of this thread (*your* thread) is "Thrifty Cabinets Plans". Your text says "easy-to-build cabinet and furniture plans". However, the 2 items shown under the drop-down for "Cabinet Plans" are both "Out-Of-Stock"

2 Questions:

1 - Why did you emphasize Cabinet Plans in your thread if they are not available?

2 - How can a zip file be "Out-Of-Stock"? You know that zip files aren't physical things that leave your inventory when someone downloads them, right?
Reply to
DerbyDad03

ote:

o, the plans show "out of stock".

Good questions Bob.

1 - Not all of the plans are completed. I've changed the wording to say "Co ming Soon" instead of "Out of Stock." Hopefully, that will be clearer. As f ar as the name Thrifty Cabinets, it's a long story, but it is my domain nam e. At the present time, on my site, there are six completed plans and seven other plans in the works. I guess I could remove the uncompleted ones from the site, but I would rather people see what is coming soon. I'm a week or so away from completing the Poker Caddy, and in my shop now I'm working on an eight-person rectangular dining table. 2 - I believe my #1 answer also answers your #2 question. I can only produc e a sample of a plan after the plan is completed.

Also, based on your comments, I plan to add more ways for people to receive and view sample plans. Thanks for helpful comments.

Reply to
brucekieffer

Jumping into a newsgroup with SPAM and one that you do not participate in, is kinda, you know.

Reply to
Leon

lso, the plans show "out of stock".

Who the heck is "Bob"?

Coming Soon" instead of "Out of Stock." Hopefully, that will be clearer. As far as the name Thrifty Cabinets, it's a long story, but it is my domain n ame. At the present time, on my site, there are six completed plans and sev en other plans in the works. I guess I could remove the uncompleted ones fr om the site, but I would rather people see what is coming soon. I'm a week or so away from completing the Poker Caddy, and in my shop now I'm working on an eight-person rectangular dining table.

uce a sample of a plan after the plan is completed.

ve and view sample plans. Thanks for helpful comments.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

+1
Reply to
DerbyDad03

Exactly what other conclusion can one come to? You *are* spamming the group. You _do_ know what spam is, right?

No thanks. We've already seen the spam. There are better and cheaper places to get _good_ designs.

Reply to
krw

I'm so sorry that I ever posted on this angry miserable forum. I thought this was a "recreational" woodworking group. Woodworkers who are interested in woodworking, but instead it 's a group of people who just want to complain.

Reply to
brucekieffer

So are we! No, moron, SPAM is *never* welcome on the Usenet. I don't appreciate calls selling crap, either.

Reply to
krw

If we could go back in time, the following technique might have worked out a little better for you:

"Hi! My name is Bruce. I have created a series of plans for cabinets and other furniture. I sell the plans through my website and offer a sample of each plan for free. I don't want anyone to think I'm spamming this group, so I thought that I would introduce myself first. Would you folks mind if I posted a link to my website?

Here is an example of one of the sample plans so you can see what I am offering. You'll note that the sample plans do not include the materials list, cut list, etc. The full plans, of course, would.

[Insert Sample Plan Link Here]"

That post looks a lot less like spam than your version. I suspect that you would have gotten a slightly warmer reception or, at a minimum, a more polite send-off.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Thanks DerbyDad03. It's obvious this forum needs a moderator.

Reply to
brucekieffer

This isn't a forum, it's usenet. Googlegroups and/or whatever other web based forums that show these posts are simply a conduit that retrieves and re-displays from usenet onto their web platform.

It's kind of like stealing, really. Many of these forums are monetized and are making money off content that is produced and available free, elsewhere.

No moderators. Don't need them. Usenet polices itself and people who have used it for decades know the rules... like no spam. :-D

Reply to
-MIKE-

rec.woodworking is not a forum. It's a usenet newsgroup. The vast majority of usenet newgroups don't have moderators. Usenet information, including a brief mention of the limited use of moderators, can be found here:

IMO, rec.woodworking - on usenet - will never be moderated. Content may be moderated once it hits web-based forums that steal posts from usenet, but that's a topic for a different discussion.

If this was a moderated group e.g. mod.rec.woodworking (which AFAIK doesn't exist) your post would probably have been blocked. Instead, you got some constructive criticism. You have now experienced the beauty of usenet in all of its un-moderated glory.

Reply to
DerbyDad03