The Entertainment Nook is Complete. Whew!

SawStop is doing great. I still question the use of a glossy black right extension table as far as appearances go however it is slick with little friction. I guess that would be a trade off for those concerned about appearances vs. function, I'm not.

I always enjoyed my old Jet cabinet saw but start up with this thing, compared to the Jet, is drastically improved. It does not start up quite as quickly as the Jet but boy is it smooooooth. The Jet tended to explode to instant full speed. The SawStop takes about a quarter second to come up to speed. I suspect that it has something to do with two belts and 3 pulleys. It also seems to coast down to a stop much more quickly. Any way the smoothness of the saw gives you a much better feeling of security and a sense of higher quality.

I have not changed any of my habits, I still respect the spinning blade, there still are things that can happen that can harm you but the smoothness of the spinning blade keeps the small loose cut offs from dancing around near the blade.

Changing the blade brake when changing from a standard sized blade to the 8" dado set now takes me less time, installing the brake is a touchy feeley kind of action as it is difficult to see where the round pegs are suppose to align with the brake, this routine takes 3~4 seconds now.

I still have a difficult time remembering to swing the dust chute door closed after changing blades.. it is an internal door so either the right side exterior door has to be opened or the insert removed to verify.

The SawStop brand hydraulic mobile base rolls so freely that if you don't lower the saw after moving it, it will likely roll out into the drive way if you are not careful, and that base is supporting close to

700 lbs.

I have yet to use the guard but the splitter is great.

Reply to
Leon

Thank you Mike.

I used lots of scraps. LOL

The top and ends/sides are 3/4" walnut plywood. The top is trimmed with solid walnut and the doors are solid walnut. All black painted parts are oak, basically the front and back face frames, end trim pieces, and top perimeter border. The top perimeter border keeps things from rolling off the sides or back and hides the cables hanging down behind the walnut wall panels. I used a black milk paint with a gel varnish as a top coat. The single floating shelf, its supports, and the bottom of the cabinet are 3/4" paint grade maple plywood. The grill frames are

1/2" Baltic birch plywood as are the 6 internal drawers.
Reply to
Leon

Thank you Casper, my wife is happy. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Gorgeous, as usual. Great scale and proportion as well.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Thank you Mike, the void is filled! ;~)

Reply to
Leon

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 10:52:18 -0500, Leon

I assume you've investigate various means of taming that rat's nest, but in case you haven't seen it, Lee Valley has this type of wiring control.

none

Actually I really don't care what the wiring looks like, it is not visible unless I remove the top of the cabinet or open the doors. As long as I can easily add, subtract, or reroute any of the cables I have accomplished what I set out to do.

There was initially a rats nest because I basically did not unplug any cables when placing the electronics in the new cabinet and all of the electronics are now located in a different order.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

I have this image in my head of Leon running down the street after a run away SawStop saw. LOL

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Me too! LOL. Actually I have envisioned it rolling off the ledge at the garage door on to the driveway. That is about a 1.25" drop and would be tough to lift back to garage level.

Reply to
Leon

You'd be surprised how easy it would be to get back up something that small. I thought I'd have all sorts of problems getting my Unisaur off the shipping pallet. No problems at all. I had no problems moving it from my other house into this one, alone. A couple of 2x10 ramps, a couple of sheets of plywood, and a UHaul trailer did the job with no problems. The 2x10s are about the same height as your garage lip and that was the easy part. Levers and inclined planes are wonderful things. Don't leave Cheops without them. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

You need a SawStop Stop.

Later versions will detect contact with the SawStop and fire a brake to keep you safe.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Strange thing about cables and audio equipment is that often making the cables all nice and neat will introduce RFI and magnetic interference noises and hum that disappears when the cable is laid in a haphazard, rat's nest.

Reply to
Swingman

But you will then have to replace the entire mobile base. :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

-------------------------------------------------------------------- Makes perfect sense.

When cables are parallel to one another the RFI, etc will "couple" with one another if the parallel length is long enough.

If the cables are at angles to one another, the "couple" length will be minimum.

IOW, cluttered cable runs represent good engineering practice.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I know. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Swingman and I tackled that lip 3 years ago with all of my equipment. I did not say that it would be impossible, it would be q hell of a lot more trouble to get it back up there than if I simply did not let it happen in the first place.

Reply to
Leon

Now you're reminding me of my old job. I did hundreds of installations and there are some you can bundle an some you can't. That's one reason pro cable costs so much and is so thick, due to the 100+% shielding an balancing.

Some of the mic cable I used to use, I could lay parallel to AC cords with zero 60 cycle hum, as long as all the grounding was correct. But that's some expensive stuff and knowledgeable installation. Most home instals are better with the rats nest. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yep, thousands and thousands in equipment with balanced inputs and outputs, balanced TRS patch cords, and high dollar shielded cables; and the only thing that will stop a guitar player's amp from humming in Bb on a tune in A is a .49 cent ground lift adapter. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Ain't that the truth!

Reply to
-MIKE-

Bottom line is, he could have done just as excellent a job using the Jet and saved all that Sawstop money for beer and boudin, for when watching that TV.... or for when untangling electrical cords.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny