Sticking Hole Saw

I mounted a 2" hole saw assembly in my drill press and proceeded to drill a hole through 3/4" poplar. As I applied pressure during the cut the saw would bind in the hole forcing me to constantly back out. Is there something I can buy to rub or spray on the saw to prevent this? Something that will still allow me to stain the piece after completing the cut?

Fred

Reply to
Fred

TopCote

Reply to
Leon

Fred, Use a frostner bit. Drill from the side that will be seen or drill from both side.

Dave

TeamCasa

Lat time I used a holesaw in a DP with Poplar, I remember that the teeth of the saw were clogging because the poplar sawdust was sort of gummy.

Take a small bite, lift up to clear the sawdust, take a small bite, lift up to clear the sawdust...lather, rinse, repeat! :)

A PITA...yes, but it will get you through if you don't have a 2" Forstner bit.

Reply to
GSX

Try first drilling a small (1/4 inch) hole inside of and tangent to the cut of the hole saw. This provides a place for sawdust to accumulate rather than just jamming up the saw cut. Not my idea but I've tried it and it works for me.

David Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

I had trouble with hole saws cutting slow and burning. Topcote helped tremendously. wd-40 worked better, but it messes up the wood.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas

A file:)