My cherry plywood is pinker than my cherry solids

I am making a chest. I didn't notice it until I started to assemble, but my plywood is pinker than my solid wood. Will that difference dissapear over time? If not, should I put a weak cherry (pink) dye on the solids? I hadn't planned on putting any finish on it other than some danish oil.

Sure will be nice when I know what I am doing.

Reply to
Toller

My experience is that they will darken to the same color over time. Have they both been exposed to light the same amount of time? Was the plywood covered with another piece? All of these can be a factor.

Bill

Reply to
WORSS

After its assembled - leave it in the sun for a few days before putting the finish on it. (or before its assembled - just make sure to keep the outside side facing the sun to get an even color)

That should help even out the color.

Reply to
Rob V

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how different the colors really are.

If not, should I put a weak

The problem with that is you have to guess the end points of the color shift. Make sure you don't have any sap wood -- it won't turn much and if it does it will go brown not red. Or rather make sure you don't have any sap wood you don't know about.

I've always held that with cherry, you match as best you can and accept variation as part of nature. If I wanted homogeneity above all else, I'd build out of plastic.

One other note: if you do have contrasting pieces of cherry, take the time to arrange them to best effect. I don't know what you are building in detail, but make all the stiles and rails on one end of the case consistent, same for the other end. But the ends don't have to match each other with great color matching precision.

Yeah me too. But I figure I'll be dead by then.

hex

-30-

Reply to
hex