Speaking Of Phone Apps - Fraction Calculator Plus

Mike's mention of the level app on his phone reminded me of an app I found a few months ago and have been using quite often for my bookcase project.

Fraction Calculator Plus

The app puts 3 keypads on the screen so that you can directly enter the integer portion, the numerator and the denominator.

1 15/32 + 3 5/8 = 5 3/32

If you want, you can tap a button to see a scratchpad type screen showing a "handwritten" breakdown of the steps required to get the answer. That screen also shows you the decimal version of the answer, e.g. 5.09375

Reply to
DerbyDad03

P.S. Their website says "#1 Top Rated by Woodworker's" ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Don't they teach fractions in school anymore?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Interesting UI choice. My old "scientific" calculator uses one keypand and has you push a button between each part.

If it could only convert yards to meters and inches to mm, my wife would love it (she needs both fractions and those conversions for (writing) sewing patterns).

Elijah

------ made her a chart of inches to cm/mm from 1/8" to 5"

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

I am actually using the Calculated Industries Master Measure Pro on my phone. Works just like the calculates you see at HD and Lowes and much less expensive.

Reply to
Leon

I'll check the one you are pointing out. This is the one I am using.

Since I use a lot of Festool I can easily convert imperial into metric and visa versa.

Reply to
Leon

I like Tapeulator

Meanie

snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote in news:Tit8C.286410$ snipped-for-privacy@fx08.iad:

People seem afraid of fractions, maybe it's part of the abyss that stares back at them called "premature optimization." That cold feeling when you're messing with lowest common denominator when any common denominator will do? It's the dark soulless abyss staring back at you.

Get a nice answer like 4/32? Hey look, your rule reads in 32nds, you can just count four lines! What do you mean you've reduced to 1/8? Do you WANT the abyss to consume your mathematical soul?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I'm too busy cleaning up the router shavings with a broom to do any math.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

But math is my first and only language I am fluent in (I suck at english). ;~)

Reply to
Markem

LOL!! Hell, yeah!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I have an app called stud finder. I tried to open it to get more info to share and got message that the developer needs to update it to work on current version of iOS. When I used it last year it worked well.

Reply to
Gramps' shop

Still does. When I opened the app it showed my picture.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Oh...it's one of those fantasy game apps.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I use the Dewalt Mobile Pro app. Its free and has lots of addins for carpentry and construction work.

Reply to
Bob

Just a note on the level in the phone. Coworker used a level on his phone to make sure that some posters we hung in the office were level. They looked crooked. More investigation revealed that (according to his phone anyway) the whole building is about 2 degrees out of plumb.

Reply to
J. Clarke

J. Clarke wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I just downloaded the Ridgid branded level. Nice program, actually. One of the first things I had to do was use the calibration function. ;-) Funny, my shelves were about 2 degrees out before calibration.

I wonder if I can turn that line in camera mode so it goes straight up and down. It'd be great for checking whether a post is plumb or not.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

It'd be great for checking whether a post is plumb or not.

Few posts on this news group are plumb. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Very good...very, very good. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I worked for a government contractor that was like that.

Reply to
krw