Somewhat OT

A few weeks ago I had the inverter on my woodlathe die, again. This is the second time one died. The first time I found an exact replacement on E-Ba y for $400. It lasted two years. I did not want to wind up spending $200 a year, so went looking for a suitable replacement.

I found a Hitachi inverter (WJ200) at Surplus Center for $229 and bought it . When it arrived, I quickly realized I needed help in understanding how t o set the parameters, so I sent an e-mail to Hitachi Customer Service and w ound up talking to them on the phone, on their dime.

Of all the Customer Service folks I have talked to over the years, these gu ys (talked to one primarily, but had a brief conversation with another) are , without a doubt, the most outstanding I have ever run into. They were no t in a rush. They were extremely interested in my getting the unit up and running. When the conversation was over (on the first call) they told me t o call back if I needed any help.

I did, both need help and call, and the response was exactly the same. My last issue was a harmonic squeal at about half speed. Derek gave me a coup le of suggestions, told me the squeal would not hurt the motor and told me to call him back If I needed anything else.

The unit is up and running. The suggestion cured the squeal. I have my l athe back, with a modern inverter that should last for years.

All in all a very good experience.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

On 10/6/2018 7:05 AM, Dr. Deb wrote: > A few weeks ago I had the inverter on my woodlathe die, again. This is the second time one died. The first time I found an exact replacement on E-Bay for $400. It lasted two years. I did not want to wind up spending $200 a year, so went looking for a suitable replacement. > > I found a Hitachi inverter (WJ200) at Surplus Center for $229 and bought it. When it arrived, I quickly realized I needed help in understanding how to set the parameters, so I sent an e-mail to Hitachi Customer Service and wound up talking to them on the phone, on their dime. > > Of all the Customer Service folks I have talked to over the years, these guys (talked to one primarily, but had a brief conversation with another) are, without a doubt, the most outstanding I have ever run into. They were not in a rush. They were extremely interested in my getting the unit up and running. When the conversation was over (on the first call) they told me to call back if I needed any help. > > I did, both need help and call, and the response was exactly the same. My last issue was a harmonic squeal at about half speed. Derek gave me a couple of suggestions, told me the squeal would not hurt the motor and told me to call him back If I needed anything else. > > The unit is up and running. The suggestion cured the squeal. I have my lathe back, with a modern inverter that should last for years. > > All in all a very good experience. > > Deb >

I'm running a Hitachi VFD WJ200-007 (115VAC in 230VAC out) on a 1HP high speed mill. I've set up a few Huan Yang inverters, and one Mitsubishi Inverter, but I'd never setup a Hitachi before. I bought mine from Drives Warehouse. On a Friday evening trying to get things going desperately because I was behind on jobs I just couldn't figure out a couple things. I called Drives Warehouse and left a message that I needed help. Not 15 minutes later one of their guys called me from home and walked me through the setup to the best of his ability. In the mean time one thing that wasn't making sense clicked for me. Between the two of of us we got it going to push a 1HP 24000rpm spindle. Its been working fine for a couple years now. I run the motor at 400hz 99.9% of the time and put varying continuous loads from about 0.01HP to about

0.25HP on it with peak loads likely spiking close to max. Its been a solid performer, and I think the price was a little over $200 at the time. If my experience is any indication the Hitachi should outlast your previous inverters.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

I concur, I have a few Hitachi tools, one being a portable table saw which had a problem a few years ago. Customer service helped me also and resolved my problem. Good people to deal with.

Reply to
Meanie