looking at the Saw Stop saws

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Proximity means NEAR the blade - like maybe INCHES from it.

Reply to
LDosser

And any cuts that need the guard out of the way are without the stopping sensor. IOW, anything other than a standard rip or cross cut. Still, if inexpensive enough it seems a good alternative to spending the money needed for the full protection offered by the Saw Stop.

Reply to
LDosser

Considering the vast majority of cuts are rips, not bad. It would need removing for sleds which are IMHO safer than standard cross cuts and rips anyway. IMHO it's a neat invention that can retrofit most saws. This type of design (a proximity sensor around the blade) might be the way to go. If he could somehow create the proximity sensor 'field' without using the over-head guard, now that would be cool.

I think he's onto something here.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Who says the two are mutually exclusive?

Reply to
Doug Miller

31.4" = 2.6'

103 mph

Have you seen the SawStop videos? It *does* rip the brake cartridge "all to shreds"; the angular momentum of the blade provides the force to pull the trunnion down below the table top.

Reply to
Doug Miller

If I do something stupid and my hand slips off of my pusher and I jab my hand in the blade, my hand will be servered from the bleeding stump of my arm in about 500ms. 500ms after my hand falls flopping and bleeding on the saw table, the blade stops.

I vote for "saw stop". If I'm going to stick my hand in the blade, I want it to stop NOW, not a second after it thinks I'm too close to the blade.

Reply to
Zootal

Video not available due to a copyright claim.

Reply to
Doug Miller

> No big words. Just scroll down a bit to the video.

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Arent Fox LLP"

Ahh, I found a non-deleted copy - look here:

is an impressive video!

My only concern is that this is very new and works - in theory. It works in limited tests. It works great with hot dogs. Unfortunately, it's difficult and extremely dangerous to conduct extensive testing on something like this. There are bound to be (catastrophic) failures and a lot of (expensive) false triggers. I'm curious to see how well this works after a few years in the real world.

Reply to
Zootal

I'm pretty sure the guy that invented the steering wheel air-bag received the same response. You have to do your part to be safe and hope it works when you need it.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

"I'm pretty sure the guy that invented the steering wheel air-bag received the same response."

With the exception of "It works great with hot dogs." :^]

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Behind the at.

Reply to
dhall987

It uses a "proximity sensor". It's not 1 sec after you touch the blade. It's one second after you "are too close" to the blade.

Understood but you may be moving toward the blade faster than the cautious pace used in the video.

Reply to
Leon

Considering the vast majority of cuts are rips, not bad. It would need removing for sleds which are IMHO safer than standard cross cuts and rips anyway. IMHO it's a neat invention that can retrofit most saws. This type of design (a proximity sensor around the blade) might be the way to go. If he could somehow create the proximity sensor 'field' without using the over-head guard, now that would be cool.

I think he's onto something here.

Absolutely, more refinement and you might see the SawStop drop in price. Competition would be a good thing.

Reply to
Leon

I just quoted it: "Studies consistently ... "

This quote means that you find more men at the extremes of intelligence (and other endeavors) than women. I imagine men's intelligence is like an INVERTED (I'm exaggerating, but bear with me) bell curve - a lot of dummies and a lot of geniuses. The dummies end up in jails, the geniuses get Nobel Prizes (some recent examples notwithstanding).

The female race has very few idiots (compared to men) and very few geniuses.

In statistical parlance, the 1st standard deviation for women is HUGE.

Reply to
HeyBub

Precisely and it may take years for you to witness such an incident. I've seen that happen a time or two myself.

Reply to
Leon

Still have not looked at the video mentioned but IIRC the belts loosen substantially also. IMHO part of the trick to getting the blade to stop quickly is to disconect it from the momenum of the large motor that would also have to be stopped if the belts did not loosen.

Reply to
Leon

I just mentioned this in another post here, IIRC in a video I saw some years back, when the blade drops it is no longer tensioned against the belts. I was always under the impression that the blade dropping was to also to facilitate the direct disconnect from the motor so that it could be stopped more quickly and with less thunder. The blade might just cut through the cartridge completely if it had to stop the motor that quickly also. ;~)

If my saw wears out the SawStop will be my next also.

Reply to
Leon

They come with a granite top now?

Reply to
Leon

Wecome to the real world. It has been around a few years now and has worked. People thought the telephone was a passing fad too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski